Thursday, September 10, 2009

Classic Track Thursday


I was reading the SPIN cover story of Muse today, and they mentioned how The Resistance (which I'll be posting about next week) is really their third album in the US. other than getting me pretty annoyed that Americans waste their lives and ears with Taylor Swift or whatever is popular nowadays, it got me thinking about how weird it is that some bands pretty much forsake their previous discography when they breakthrough with mainstream success. or sometimes, "fans" of the band aren't really familiar with the band's early, oft brilliant work. see: Kings of Leon.

that being said, Blood Sugar Sex Magik is Red Hot Chili Pepper's FIFTH release (yes, you read that correctly), back in 1991. it is the only RHCP cd which I own (thanks again to Amoeba clearance racks), having ripped most of the band's releases from library copies. the album has raw sexual energy a la Iggy Pop, and it is funk-heaven. some of the bass parts feel like they're traveling through my veins via a slinky toy.

I love John Frusciante, he's a fucking wicked guitarist. he left the band after this album and the band recorded one album (One Hot Minute)without him, but he came back for Californication (1999). the title song from that album is one of my earliest music memories.

here's a great track which was released fifteen years before the band starting ripping off of Tom Petty:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss [mp3]

BONUS:
the beginning part of this is so cool. seriously, this song is like my childhood epitomized.

3 comments:

nateraabe said...

As much as I love John, One Hot Minute is my favorite RHCP album.

Allie said...

i love rhcp and their funky funkness. haha oh 90s how i adore you. i am so addicted to this spice girls song "2 become 1" right now. yeah thats right i said it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1qGT9b3Z_M

Hanan said...

the 90's were basically the greatest. haha I remember in grade school, The Spice Girls were THE SHIT. I always thought Scary Spice was uber cool
I clicked on that song, goodness, that's awful. ahahhahahah!