Wednesday, February 27, 2008

bloodsucking ivy leaguers

I first heard about Vampire Weekend from Spin's issue with Foo on the cover (October
2007?)

I loved their name, and I had never heard "prep rock" (even though they don't like the label), so I looked them up. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Yes, I missed their SF show because I forgot my ID (g-ddamn bureaucracy.) but it's so nice to listen to them on a somewhat lazy Wednesday afternoon, after turning in a buttload of midterm papers. The weather is perfect for VW too, ideal Spring conditions, almost suspiciously so.

If you think you know what VW is about, and have labeled them as spoiled brats or over hyped or whatnot, you are truly missing out. Their record is eclectic, but not so much that you are shocked. There is a nice selection of different sounds here, from African sounds to classical violins and some damn good bass in M78.

I've attached I stand corrected, because it's not a song that people might expect from VW.

Enjoy.

No comments: