Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Music Definitions: Dreams



my mind works in strange ways. I never knew what a "lucid dream" was, but the Franz Ferdinand song of the same name didn't compel me to look it up. it wasn't until I heard it alluded to in an Animal Collective song called "Bluish" (my favourite off of their new record) did I bother to wikipedia that shit.

[[the lyric was: "pulling me into another dream, a lucid dream"]]

anyhow, a lucid dream is defined as "a dream in which the person is aware that they are dreaming while the dream is in progress".

I looked this up a few hours before I hit the hay. now, my dreams are usually quite interesting. I dream in chapters. little vignettes. and I remember almost all of them, all of the time. I have a terrible memory but I somehow manage to remember my dreams.

anyways, these "chapters" are usually separated by me half-waking up sporadically. I am a very light sleeper. ANYHOW. here comes the cool part of the story:

after my first chapter, my semi-awake mind thought "hey, let's try to force a lucid dream". it didn't work at first. but then, in chapter 3, IT WORKED. it was so awesome. I knew I was dreaming, so I started to teach my friends how to fly by assuming a somewhat strange yoga position. they, of course, were confused because they weren't aware that this was a dream. haha oh the marvels of the human mind.

now, here are some top notch tunes for your enjoyment.

Ryan Adams - Dreams of a Working Class Clown [mp3]
unreleased. delicious. highly recommended.

Rilo Kiley- Dreamworld [mp3]
man I really love this one. it really feels like being inside a dream. a retro, mesmerizing dream.

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream [mp3]

from Bowie at the Beeb, my favourite Bowie comp EVER.

The Drifters - I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas [mp3]

I don't care that Christmas is over. this is one of my all time favourite songs. it brings back memories of Home Alone and makes me nostalgic for the white Christmases I never had. yes, living in California has its downsides.

James Morrison - Dream on Hayley [mp3]
I can't get enough of this Brit. his voice is amazing.

John Mayer - Dreaming with a Broken Heart [mp3]

yes, I listen to John Mayer. no, I am not ashamed to admit it. yes, the man is a douche bag but he has an ear like nobody's business.


Louis Armstrong - Dream a Little Dream of Me [mp3]

nothing like a little Louis to tie everything together.

now, go forth and DREAM.

BONUS:
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm [mp3]
from "Siamese Dream", one of my all time favourite records. this song just kills me.

6 comments:

Murphey said...

Do some revision next time, but I must say I always enjoy a good story. Also, great cuts, thanks for the awesome.

Hanan said...

as always, thanks for the support, mate =)

hippiesaredead said...

Agreed. Bowie at the BEEB rulez. Depending what pressing you have, the two versions of Ziggy Stardust may be identical: they released a "fix it" CD about six months after the release...

Hanan said...

I have the two disc version, I didn't know it was different. I'll keep an eye out for the original. thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sopriventontes.net/][img]http://tonoviergates.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]free softwares downloads, [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]academic testing software[/url]
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]coreldraw gratis[/url] 2007 discount software cheap office 2003
software store products [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]student discount software photoshop[/url] purchase softwares
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]cheap educational software[/url] nero 9 retail
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]download acdsee pro free[/url] student price software
microsoft student software discounts [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]rs232 to filemaker pro[/url][/b]

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike