Monday, August 3, 2009

The Strokes Post #163

[from a RS article]


"I just wanted to write music that could touch people," he says. "A songwriter -- you play a few chords and sing a melody that's been done a thousand times, and now you're a singer-songwriter. I think it takes a little more than that to do something that matters. And I wish I could write a song where all the parts work. When you hear a song like that, it's like finding a new friend. Maybe you've been fucking alone and looking for someone, and when you find them, it's like everything seems better. I feel like sometimes great artists -- it won't politically affect anything, but it can make a crack in the ceiling and you can see a bit of light. You don't know what's gonna come, but you try. I think eighty-five percent of the fun is just going for it. And not going for it for your own gratification, but making personal sacrifices to do it right." Suddenly self-conscious about having waxed philosophical, he looks me in the eyes and laughs. "Or not."

8 comments:

2plus2isjoe said...

Sorry this is in the wrong place, but I can't find the original post, but what would you say the overall sound of the Telekinesis album is? I finally got listening to a couple of tracks (Coast of Carolina and Awkward Kisser) and they're brilliant! Just wondering if it was worth getting hold of (if I can in the UK...).

Hanan said...

oh no worries.
it's really really good. definitely worth the trouble. I couldn't stop listening to it for WEEKS. plus, Chris Walla produced it.

here's my post about it

http://musicinducedeuphoria.blogspot.com/2009/05/band-of-week-record-review-telekinesis.html

and I did an interview too:

http://musicinducedeuphoria.blogspot.com/2009/06/interview-telekinesis.html

for the record, all of my posts are sorted into labels, so if you search keywords at the top of my site, you can find stuff really easily.

let me know what you think!

Katie said...

that's a really nice quote.

klein said...

Cute. I love deep and meaningful Julian rambles.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Jules. Can't wait for new album and new interviews! PS. Arctic Monkeys WERE LEGENDARY! And I think that Alex was pulling a Julian circa Room on Fire tour with his red cup, unfocused eyes, and general slurring towards the end of the set. Haha. That being said, like Julesy, the music didn't suffer with his varying levels of sobriety.

Hanan said...

oh that sounds great! I saw them a few years ago and they were fucking perfect. Alex was sober the whole time though.

Tara said...

That's an awesome quote. Also, you will have seen it by the time you read this, so what did you think of the new interview with him? It made me so happy! And I was also digging his outfit haha.

Hanan said...

it made me happier than happy. it is SO good to see him ALIVE and looking so good and working on music! he seems inspired and motivated and it'll pay off for us fans!
I love that man so much. nobody understands. he is my hero.