Monday, August 3, 2009

REPOST: climbing the narrow stairs.

fuck you DMCA. I specifically posted a live mp3. fucking aye, I recorded that video and extracted the mp3 from it myself. why do you have to take down my post?

assholes.



"how i wish you could see
the potential of you and me
it's like a book,
elegantly bound, but in a language that you can't read
"

it's amazing how a simple thing like liner notes will change how you perceive an album. I first listened to Narrow Stairs ages ago, I had downloaded it and was listening to it as I did some reading for school. I liked it, but nothing stuck out. it was no Transatlanticism.

I later listened to it more diligently in the days preceding the glorious concert, during which I heard most of the songs from Narrow Stairs performed live. I liked them a lot. but something was still missing.

today, I went to a record store and picked up a handful of goodies, including Death Cab's latest LP. I'm listening to it right now, as I read the liner notes. 

the lyrics at the top of the post struck me, HARD. they are the opening lyrics to a single, called "I Will Possess Your Heart". even though I'd heard the song a dozen times, I never heard those lyrics (probably because four minutes of gorgeous instrumentals precede them). 

but still, those are some of the most beautiful words I've ever read. and I was a freaking lit major in college.

I'm appreciating Narrow Stairs a lot more now.

I have this theory, that having a physical copy of an album can allow you to connect with it in a way that mp3 downloads will never match. my experiences with Narrow Stairs tonight only cement this.

so I implore you,
spend a little more time with vinyl or cds. read liner notes. know who wrote what songs and where the thing was recorded. all four members of Death Cab for Cutie contributed to "I Will Possess Your Heart". 

and remember, most of our favourite musicians are fucking poets. let's appreciate the written word. it'll give you satisfaction that itunes will never be able to match. 

I've never in my life purchased an mp3, and I don't ever plan on doing so. mp3s are for sampling. records are for keeps.

4 comments:

Will said...

I find it oddlyamusing that a post in which you encourage people to buy records was removed.

Hanan said...

I know, right?

Tara said...

I know exactly what you mean. There's something very nice - romantic, even - about physically possessing a record. And I love reading all the obscure recording details too :)

Hanan said...

everything is digitized now, even books, and while it's "convenient", it makes everything so detached from reality.