Monday, July 13, 2009

concert review: Ra Ra Riot, Andrew Bird, Death Cab for Cutie @ Greek Theatre (Berkeley), 11 July 2009

Saturday’s concert was, hands down, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to (and I go to a ton of shows).The evening was simply magical.

Ra Ra Riot opened with a short but solid set drawing from their debut The Rhumb Line. Although they faltered at first, they gained confidence with each song, culminating with a spectacular rendition of "Oh, La" that was ringing in my head all night.




They were clearly comfortable, and their interaction on stage showcased deep bonds of friendship. Although their intimate, string driven songs would be better delivered at a small venue, the Greek Theatre's vast size did not hinder their enthusiasm, nor their strong deliveries.

Andrew Bird came on stage next and the crowd quickly broke into song wishing him a happy birthday (we did this again midway through his set). Bringing along his signature spinning gramophone and stuffed monkey, Mr. Bird awed the audience with his highly improvisational, technically magnificent songs.






My theory that this man possesses magical powers was cemented as it started raining during "Anonanimal", a beautiful rainbow emerging in the sky. The strongest song of the set was the closer, "Fake Palindromes". I was nearly in tears when he left the stage, and although I had only heard about an hour of music, I was satisfied. Death Cab was the frosting on the cake.

Death Cab for Cutie, or Taxi De La Muerta Para Mamasita (as a pair of Columbian boys translated for me) were simply stellar. I've been a fan of the band for four years now, but I had never seen them in concert. That was a big, big mistake on my part. Their live performance is much needed nourishment for the soul in an age where Rolling Stone gives the Jonas Brothers not one but two covers.




Their twenty song set list (which I jotted down as the night progressed) was superbly crafted; it reminded me a bit of what Rob from High Fidelity says about mix tapes (about turning it down a notch and then back up). Best of all, they relayed the songs equally. By this I mean they didn't seem any less enthused about playing their singles than their lesser known songs. I really hate it when bands make it seem like it's a burden to play their hits. Ben Gibbard did the opposite, and the result was amazing.





Best of all, the concert made me want to go home and play their records over and over again. The best concerts are the ones that remind you why you love the band in the first place, strengthening your resolve to shun the radio and revel in the glory that is quality music.

Set List:

Marching Bands of Manhattan
Your Heart is an Empty Room
The New Year
We Laugh Indoors
Crooked Teeth
No Sunlight
My Mirror Speaks
President of What?
Summer Skin
Grapevine Fires
I Will Possess Your Heart
I Will Follow You Into the Dark
Little Bribes
Cath
A Movie Script Ending
Soul Meets Body

What Sarah Said
Long Division
The Sound of Settling
Transatlanticism

Ra Ra Riot: 3.5/5

Andrew Bird: 4.9/5 (my only complaint is that his set should have been longer)

Death Cab for Cutie: 5/5

videos will be uploaded to my YOUTUBE page shortly

Death Cab for Cutie - Cath (Craig Ferguson) [mp3]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am envious. And I love the reference to High Fidelity. Makes me want to read it again.

Unknown said...

hola new friend, Ive been trying to leave a comment for a few hours but i couldnt stop downloading, your blog is a new daily stop in my internet explorations.

this is hardly a fair exchange for all the new music i have now, but here is a link to that video of andrew bird on that kids show i mentioned...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmkLu24w2o

im going to have to argue with your ratings for the concert. mr bird has an ability to leave you begging for more is regardless of how long he plays, which in my mind qualifies as a 6/5 regardless of how one feels about improper fractions. and as infallible as i think death cab is i got a feeling on a couple songs that jason mcgerr was having a rough night.
But no argument that it was one of the best set lists possible.

Hanan said...

to Mary, I've only read the book once...I had the movie in mind (I've watched it 70 or so times) but I think Nick Hornby is coming out with a new book...

hey Dakota! holy moley, that video is amazing! I just watched it consecutively 5 times. no joke. thanks for the link! oh and about Death Cab and your qualms with their drummer's performance, I've gotta say it, I'm always really in awe the first time I see one of my favourite bands. I can be more objective as time progresses. if there was any lack of awesome from Jason, I didn't notice it. you might be right but yeah Andrew Bird is a g-d. btw, the band I told you about, Telekinesis, the guy was taught drums by Jason. just a fun fact.

Emily Smith said...

I went to that concert. It really was magical.
I loved how it started raining... in the middle of July!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!