Tuesday, January 26, 2010

CONTEST: win a copy of a sweet cover songs album


for Christmas, I received a bunch of Starbucks giftcards from co-workers who unwittingly thought "hey, she's young, she must like the place".
little did they know of my hatred towards coffee in general and Starbucks in particular.

I considered using the giftcards to buy containers of tea (Starbucks carries TAZO, one of my faves) and I also recalled that Starbucks usually features cool cds of the indie persuasion, being based in Seattle and all. I actually ended up giving the giftcards to my mum, who is a coffee addict.

Sweetheart '10 is Starbucks' third compilation of its kind: it features covers of love songs by indie rock artists. it's mellow and laid back, not at all a flaring of you-know-which-holiday which is just around the corner (even though the compilation's release probably was timed around February for this particular reason).

if you have some Starbucks giftcards burning a hole in your pocket, I would recommend picking this up and playing it loudly as you cook or lie down on your floor in solitude. because, like a lot of great music, this compilation features songs that are best enjoyed in silence and alone. the songs have a certain distant quality about them, like speaking to someone overseas over the telephone. the album had a similar effect on me as Dark Night of the Soul, which is a damn high compliment if I do say so myself. I was particularly excited when I saw that Spoon took part of this project, but my favourite thing on here, by far, is Yo La Tengo doing "You Make Me Feel Good" by The Zombies.

Yo La Tengo - You Make Me Feel Good (Zombies cover) [mp3]

you can buy the album (and the new Spoon album haha) HERE

and here is the tracklisting:



I posted a cover of "Spanish Harlem Incident" by James & Robert Mercer recently, which was courtesy of a reader of mine named Holly who was in on the compilation. she sent 4 giveaway copies my way, so if you'd like to be in the running for one, leave a comment and tell me what your favourite cover or love song is (or both!)

contest winners will be announced in two weeks, on 9th February. good luck!

16 comments:

Amanda said...

Favorite color (let's be honest): Black!

Favorite love song is harder, but I'm going to go with John Lennon's "Grow Old with Me."

Hanan said...

haha cover, not colour. like, cover song =)

Unknown said...

Becks cover of do you realize is almost painfully simple and true; plus I love the universal situational awareness in those words.

Anonymous said...

hmm, the first great cover song that comes to my mind is Fiona Apple covering Across the Universe.

Amanda said...

Haha, I am such an idiot!

Favorite cover song: Johnny Cash covering Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat"!

Mason said...

I really liked the Ryan Adams cover of Wonderwall, especially cool that Noel Gallagher ended up doing the song in his arrangement afterwards. I also like RA's version of Everything in it's right place by radiohead, there is a live recording circuling the web to confirm this.!

Puedo 1r Al Bano said...

My favorite cover song of all time is definitely Cheap Trick's "Don't Be Cruel."
And speaking of The King...Love Me Tender is a great love song.

Nadia said...

My fave love song has to be "Under Control" by the Strokes, and the cover by Arctic Monkeys of "Baby Im yours" I have no idea who sings the original song, anyone know?

Mandy said...

My favorite cover song and love song are the same- the cover of Sea of Love [originally by Phil Phillips] by Cat Power. It's so pretty.

pierre said...

my fav love song is say yes by elliott smith and i really like the muse cover of can't take my eyes off you which you posted a while back

Positive3D said...

Best cover must be Quest for Rescue's version of "Blister in the Sun!

Hanan said...

Nadia, "Baby I'm Yours" is a Van McCoy song. Arctic Monkeys do damn good covers.

Nadia said...

Thanks Hanan!! That song is totally going to be my wedding song no matter what : )

D. said...

Fave cover: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart by Al Green (Bee Gees)

Fave love song: Moondance - Van Morrison

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I contemplate the post should have more info then it has.

Tara said...

Difficult to pick favourites of anything, but I guess a cover of a love song that I'm really into is Mystery Jets' take on Leona Lewis' 'Bleeding Love'; beautiful.