Wednesday, May 28, 2008

rolling stone rates the greatest guitar songs of all time

Rolling Stone just put out a list of the 100 greatest guitar songs, and I find it highly satisfactory.

the top ten are as follows:

1. Chuck Berry- Johnny B Goode
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Purple Haze
3. Cream – Crossroads
4. The Kinks – You Really Got Me
5. The Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar
6. Van Halen – Eruption
7. The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven
9. The Allman Brothers Band – Statesboro Blues
10. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit

also on the list, a few of my personal favourite songs:

The White Stripes- Seven Nation Army (#21)[mp3]

ACDC- Back In Black (#29)[mp3]

Television- Marquee Moon (#41)[mp3]when I first got Television's eponymous debut record, I had that 10 minute masterpiece on repeat for about 4 hours. tis an amazing, amazing song.

and, of course, my favourite band (The Strokes) made the list with the closer to my all time favourite record, Is This It, Take it or Leave it (#71)[mp3] Albert owns that song. well, Nick helps, but still.

here's a great live version:


Jules is all over the place =)

A Hawaiian man named Jake Shimabukoro did a surprisingly good cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with a ukelele. watch the video below:




Rolling Stone also gave a shout out to Tokyo Police Club, a cool Canadian band I've been listening to recently. good stuff.

No comments: