Tuesday, October 14, 2008

concert review: THE VIRGINS (yay!) and Black Kids (meh) + interview

Black Kids played at SF’s GAMH last night. The highlights of their set were “Partie Traumatic”, which they rendered really well, the powerful voices of their two backup female vocalists, and their lead singer’s superb dance skills. All in all, it’s safe to say that OPENING BAND THE VIRGINS (who enticed me to go to the show in the first place) blew them out of the water. Black Kids’ drummer was good, but Eric gave him a run for his money.

It was just kind of disheartened that the audience wasn’t getting into the Black Kids. They do, after all, make dance music, and only a couple of people (myself included) were dancing. The bright lights and band members’ dancing didn’t do enough to warrant a good show. I think that the Black Kids are a band that gets a lot of their energy from the audience, and although it’s OBVIOUS that they’re trying not to suck, it’s an uphill battle. Clear skies lie ahead though, so stick it out guys.

Anyhow, now to the good part of the review: The Virgins. They opened up their spectacular (but unfortunately short, “strictly 30 minute”, as Eric said) set with “Private Affair.” Lead singer Donald surprised me by actually singing all of the really high falsetto notes, including the beginning of “One Week of Danger”, which I hadn’t realized was HIM singing on the record. Midway through the set, they were about to cover a song (which I later found out was going to be “Wipe Out” by The Surfaris), but they collectively decided against it (I think bassist Nick had something to do with the decision). They promised to play it when they roll back into the city in December, however, and that gives me something to look forward to. Instead, Donald said “here’s a slow song for you” and took over Paul’s guitar obligations as they played “Fernando Pando”.

After the show, I caught up with the band and asked them some questions. They were all ridiculously friendly, and Donald was super polite and genuinely grateful when I told him that I adore his band.

When I asked newly added guitarist Paul where his crazy counterpart was, he replied “oh, Wade’s probably already passed out in the van already”

me: were any of you guys actually virgins when you started the band?
Donald: *chuckles* no.

me: what do you guys make of the abundance of references to The Strokes? They’re my favourite band, for the record.
Eric: Well, we’re flattered. They are a great band, a lot of fun to listen to. But we don’t try to sound like them or anything…
me: I know. By references I meant:
Eric: We’re both from NY…
me: You both make ridiculously good music. Incredible sync. You guys are quite popular and your fan base is growing exponentially. You had a stellar EP followed by an even stronger debut.
Eric: yeah, ok. We just wanted to make a good pop record, y’know? Something that you could put on and just listen to, like a party.
me: yeah: “cocaine brunch.” Those lyrics, man! Crazy! Did Donald write them?
Eric: oh yeah. That’s Donald, man, that’s his poetry.
me: does he write all of the music as well?
Eric: Yeah, but we all add on to it. You have to feel it, y’know? We’re really nitpicky about our music. Like even now, we get on each other’s cases: “we could have done better.” There’s always room for improvement.
me: why did you guys change “Rich Girls” on the record?
Eric: well, we changed the other songs as well. An EP is like, it’s just a demo you know? Just your stuff thrown together. The record is more…
me: polished?
Eric: kind of…more like a…
me: used gum wrapper? (as I point to their cover art)
Eric: haha, yeah sure.

me: why do you have a compass tattooed on your arm?
Eric: I was downtown (NYC) with a friend one day and I picked up a book and there it was. This incredible gold emblem on the cover
me: cool! Do you by any chance remember the book?
Eric: yeah, it was called The US Book of Maps. Super official and stuff.

me: are you one of those drummers who constantly drums with his fingers? Like tapping everything and what not?
Eric: kind of…I mostly use my teeth. I construct all of my beats with my teeth.
me: um, does your dentist approve?
Eric: you know, now that you mention it, I haven’t been to the dentist in a long time. That appointment needs to happen.


me: I adore you. Seriously, I fawn over your brilliance
Nick: well, that’s bound to happen when, well you know *points to self*
me: *laughing*
Nick: I’m just kidding
me: no you’re not

when Nick signed my CD, he made a cloud around his name which I thought looked like a sheep. He then proceeded to add on to it until it looked like an actual sheep, and then drew a monster with male genitalia on another fan’s arm. Twas highly amusing. He inadvertently stole my sharpie, but I totally forgave him for it. In addition to being the most talented of the band (sorry guys, I do love you all but hello his bass playing just makes me HAPPY), he is also the most attractive. A girl can dream, right?

Their manager and self-proclaimed bitch Nick told me to delete the picture of him that I took. I refused. “You won’t find pictures of me on the internet,” he said. “yeah, you guys are impossible to locate online,” I replied. Eric laughed. “Yeah, google images is loaded with pictures of naked virgins, man” he said. “People love that shit.”

To sum it up, the mark of how good the Virgins were was the fact that I was listening to their record (and simultaneously hearing their live versions of it in my head) on the train ride home. That rarely ever happens. Actually, never. This band kicks so much ass.

I hate my SD card reader, it won’t work. I’ll find my camera cable later, and upload pictures.

Set lists:

The Virgins:

Private Affair
Radio Christine
Teen Lovers
One Week of Danger
Fernando Pando [mp3, album version]
She’s Expensive
Hey Hey Girl [definitely the best of the set. I almost died.]
Rich Girls

No encore :(

Black Kids:

Look at Me When I Rock Wichoo
Hit the Heartbrakes
Partie Traumatic [mp3 album version]
I’ve Underestimated My Charm
Listen to Your Body Tonight
I Wanna be Your Limousine
Love Me Already
My Christian Name (new song)
Strange (new song)
I’m Making Eyes at You
I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You

Encore:
You Only Call Me When You’re Crying
Hurricane Jane

the verdict:

The Virgins: 4.5/5
Black Kids: 2.75/5

the good news is that The Virgins will be headlining a small tour when they finish up with the Black Kids. Stay Tuned, I'll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Murphey said...

You are such a ham, congrats on being able to chat with Eric and Nick; if your interview is any indication, you had a great time, hahahahah.