Friday, March 19, 2010

band of the week: Broken Bells

Danger Mouse is one of our best modern composers. Although I have never been a huge fan of The Shins, this project showcases James Mercer’s voice perfectly, and I dig it—a whole fucking lot.

Broken Bells sounds like anything but their raucous title, and the debut album is only consistent in the quality of music—that is, excellent. The interplay of Mercer and Brian Burton beautifully melds so many genres: hip hop, folk, electronica. Gorgeous string arrangements seem to pop out of nowhere. It’s hard to believe that these songs derive from the same album, but they form a unity like that of a soundtrack or film score: inconspicuous relationships that make perfect sense once you see them all together, but not immediately noticeable at first. Best of all, the music doesn’t seem to fit any sort of time period (ie 60s psychedelia, 70s punk, 90s restlessness or what have you) and doesn’t have any obvious influences. It’s music for music sake, if you will. Pure artistic expression.

Broken Bells are annoyingly listenable, from start to finish. Go out and pick up the record if you haven’t already.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

AGREED. I LOVE "THE HIGH RODE". CHECK OUT MY BLOG IF YOU WANT. I WRITE ABOUT THE STROKES ALOT AND I AM ALSO ONE OF 4 CO-HOSTS FOR THE ONE STROKES PODCAST IN THE WORLD!! THEONETHATROCKS.COM.TAKE A LISTEN.

ALSO I UNFORTUNATELY DIDNT MAKE THE DEADLINE FOR THE BUZZNET PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST. BUT I SAW YOUR ENTRY. GOOD LUCK!!

ANGIE XOXO
Mint Vintage Junk

Unknown said...

loooove you blog btw. i started following you a while back and today ive overloaded your backposts with comments. i love that you love the strokes as much as i do. that was the whole reason i started following you. keep up the good work. oh did you hear? the album was pushed back to 2011!!! crazy ass bummer!!


ANGIE XOXO
Mint Vintage Junk

Anonymous said...

The Shins are really amazing. They were my obsession before I met the Strokes. Still love 'em to death, I'm just not psycho about every bit of news about them as I am with the Strokes. James Mercer is indeed fabulous. I really should go buy this album, thanks for the reminder.

P R Mullen said...

Cool blog! Glad I found it. Hope you get chance to look at mine - it's a Classic Album Review about all the records past and present that have affected me. www.mushythebeatle.blogspot.com.

Nice to meet!

Paul