Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Strokes Post #457



I had a conversation a couple of weeks ago that went a little something like this:

person 1: hey Hanan are you going to Outside Lands this year?
me: who's headlining?
person 1: kings of leon...
me: ehhh

tell me what is wrong with the world when KoL are so prominently displayed on the flyer above my beloved Strokes? regardless, THE STROKES ARE PLAYING OUTSIDE LANDS ON AUGUST 14TH, SAVING ME SHIT TONS OF MONEY AND TROUBLE OF GOING TO SEE THEM IN CHICAGO! Saturday is the better lineup for sure, MMJ, Langhorne Slim, Tokyo Police Club, Gogol Bordello, The Soft Pack!

5 comments:

Edith said...

I know! I'm so glad they are playing ACL, I'd rather make a 3hour drive to Austin than spend all that money for Chicago, which I was seriously considering. Lucky, you get to see them before I do!

Funny, didn't Kings of Leon open for the Strokes a few years back, and now somehow their name is bigger in the flyer than the one of the Strokes.

Anonymous said...

are you guys seriously that biased? the strokes havent done anything as the strokes for 4 years! whilst kings of leon have released another album, won grammys and completed stadium tours. KOL deserve headline status

Anonymous said...

You know, in '73, KISS was opening for Blue Oyster Cult. One year later, to the day, man, Blue Oyster Cult was opening for KISS.

Hanan said...

it's not that I am disregarding a band's right to make a big name for themselves. it's just that, regardless of what Kings of Leon have done, The Strokes are legendary. when they come back into the picture, they should be the main attraction. do you think it's justified that lady Gaga's name is higher up on the poster for Lolla?

not to mention the fact that Kings of Leon, and a hundred other great bands, would not exist today (or be what they are today) if it were not for the Strokes.

DY said...

I'm excited for The Strokes return, but I agree with the previous commenter, Kings of Leon are huge right now. You may know better than me, but I don't think the Strokes have ever toured the size of venues KoL are currently doing (and I'm perfectly fine with that). But these festivals need to put asses in the lawns.