Saturday, July 24, 2010

band of the week: Superhumanoids

I never remember anything. I seriously have the worst memory ever. Thankfully, as a writer, I have long since developed the habit of writing reminder notes to myself about things that I should follow up on.

Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep, so I cleaned my room. As I picked up some mugs from my dresser, I saw a cd atop a stack of promo things etc that I hadn't gotten around to yet.

And the name, it was familiar. I looked through a pile of notes (also on my dresser-- I really need to be more organized), I saw the name:

Superhumanoids. Written down a few days ago after hearing them on the internets from a music blog. The cd, however, had lain in my possession since I saw The Franks open up for Shout Out Louds. After the gig, I was talking to their lead singer about doing an interview and before I left, he insisted that I take a demo cd, of his two bandmates' other band.

Just goes to show you, you really should trust talented musicians when they tell you about something. Lest you be a few months off the radar.

LA's Superhumanoids are like a dreamy, destination-free joy ride through a clear summer night. They remind me a little bit of Beach House, but the male vocals are a dead ringer for Meric Long from SF psych-folk trio The Dodos, but softer, like he's singing underneath his breath. Their Urgency EP lies somewhere between LCD Soundsystem and Pulp. The band has a dynamic similar to The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, but the music is less jangly, more casually cool, like Phantogram.

So grab a partner and glide onto the dance floor, these beats have a shelf life of three hours.

Superhumanoids - Persona [mp3]

Superhumanoids - Dangerous Strangers [mp3]

visit them on MYSPACE

No comments: