Friday, August 29, 2008

band of the week: Liam Finn

this Kiwi (New Zealander) who takes after his father Neil's musical talent blew me away when I first heard his voice. upon listening to a couple of songs on his MYSPACE, I immediately ordered his record online, a very very wise purchase. "I'll be Lightning" is a stunning debut with a eclectic feel, from the higher energy songs ("Second Chance", Lead Balloon") to slower, Elliott Smith type whispery quiet vocals("Music Moves my Feet"), all of the songs guaruntee chills (the good kind)

I saw him open up for Laura Veirs (I went specifically for him and didn't pay attention to Laura's set). he was spectacular. he has a signature thing where he always plays drums on "Second Chance", which is truly breathtaking. I remember, at one point he nearly lost control and dropped one drumstick, but continued and picked it up without skipping a beat. well, not literally of course, but it was a SMOOTH save.

now watch this performance. really, do. it's amazing.



and, now that you're convinced, go to your local record shop, buy his album and make sure to catch him live (a ton of tour dates are posted on his MYSPACE, including a SF show where he is headlining =)

when I saw him, I asked him to play my favourite song off the record, "Wide Awake on the Voyage Home" and he agreed, even though he and EJ hadn't planned to. before he began, he said "this song was requested by a very special fan", which was sweet, and so true. I adore Liam. and now you do too.

Liam Finn - Second Chance [mp3]


Liam Finn - Wide Awake on the Voyage Home [mp3]


and, some bonus songs not included on the record:
Liam Finn - I found a noise in ATP [mp3]


Liam Finn - I will explode [mp3]

Liam Finn - Never feel the same [mp3]

No comments: