Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Morning Covers

Today I'm gonna post some things a bit out of the ordinary, as in artists covering songs that you wouldn't have guessed they'd do a good job at.

Citizen Cope - Karma Police (Radiohead cover) [mp3]
now, this is probably my favourite Radiohead song (but that does change quite often to be honest...let's just say that OK Computer is my favourite Radiohead record)
anyhow, Citizen Cope comes nowhere near the shivery goodness of Thom's vox, but I like the reggae twist, it works well and is quite original (which is paradoxical, seeing as how it is a cover)

Cat Power - Wonderwall (Oasis cover) [mp3]

my bias against most female vocalists has hindered me from really getting into Cat Power, but I will admit she did a really good rendition of a song that I think we all consider gold. her version seems like it should be playing as rain pours in some sad scene in a film. again, this is quite distinct from the original, but that is most definitely not a bad thing.

and the best for last:

The Walkmen - The Old Revolution (Leonard Cohen cover via daytrotter HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) [mp3]

The first song I heard from The Walkmen was "Red River" off the Spiderman 3 soundtrack, and I was immediately struck by the soft quality of Hamilton Leithauser's voice. it seemed a bit out of place from the music in the background and he was evidently trying to make more powerful and rock-esque. I remember thinking that he should have been a folk singer 40 years ago. anyhow, this cover of Cohen is really really good. it's a bit sweeter, less bitter than the original (not that I'm criticizing the original, I just mean the way that they're singing). The Walkmen give us a newer version that doesn't sound like a ballad of hopelessness. keep your eyes out for this band, they're climbing the ladder of musical greatness, slowly but ever surely.

enjoy.

4 comments:

Murphey said...

There's a really nice Dub Tribute to Radiohead floating around the net, done by Enrico Cacace. The new versions are done really well, not just simple covers but almost total re-imaginings done in the Dub style. I would highly suggest it.

Hanan said...

could you possibly link me? I googled it and just got like links to ebay and stuff to buy it. and nothing turned up on the hype machine.

Murphey said...

I got mine from Pirate Bay, I don't know if you use torrents or not: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4212404/Dub_Tribute_to_Radiohead

And I didn't find anything on Megaupload or Rapidshare...
I hope you can dl it, it's pretty tasty.

Hanan said...

I do use torrents, thanks for the link

it is downloading as I type this, but alas my battery is dying and I have a lot of reading to do so I shall listen to it later tonight (or in some ung-dly hour of morn)

thanks again =)