Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Morning Covers

because I think that classical instrumental interpretations of rock songs are amazing:

The String Quartet - Where is My Mind (Pixies cover) [mp3]


The Section Quartet - Juicebox (Strokes cover) [mp3 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! seriously, this is quite phenomenal.)

because Beatles' covers are a-plenty (especially via the I am Sam soundtrack):

Ben Harper - Strawberry Fields Forever [mp3]


Oasis - I am the Walrus [mp3]


The Wallflowers - I'm Looking Through You [mp3]
I love Jakob Dylan.

Rufus Wainwright - Across the Universe [mp3]
I really don't like Rufus Wainwright's original songs, but I think he does really good covers.

and, just because:

Elliott Smith - Because (Beatles cover) [mp3]
wow, simply wow. if you want to understand why I worship Elliott Smith, listen to that song

anyhow, last but certainly not least, this is a SPECTACULAR cover of The Band's "The Weight" by Panic at the Disco (don't judge. listen first.)



I really don't give a fuck what you think, Panic is a great band, and they are growing exponentially. Brendon's voice just keeps getting better, as do the instrumental quality of Spencer's drumming, Jon's bass playing and Ryan/Brendon's guitars. they are going to go down in music history as a band popularized then slammed by the internet, but in the end not giving a shit what people think and making really good music. one day, it's gonna be weird NOT to like Panic. they are really good live, I've seen them twice.

anyhow, here's a LINK to more covers of "The Weight"

No comments: