Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Morning Covers


today, in honour of the whole UK vs US music power struggle that kind of re-exploded after this NME article, I will post US bands/artists covering UK ones and vice versa

Kate Nash - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You (Black Kids cover) [mp3]
I think it's adorable how she sings "dance". I'm overlooking my usual dislike for female vocalists in this case, it's a pretty decent cover

The Flaming Lips - Life on Mars (David Bowie cover) [mp3]

The Flaming Lips? Bowie? can you have anymore psychedidelic-y goodness? I think not.

Panic at the Disco - The Weight (The Band cover) [mp3 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!]

and, I know this is cheating because The Band is Canadian, but what the hell, I've been listening to this song on repeat for ages. it is mind-fucking-blowingly good. really, listen to this rendition of the much covered song, and tell me that Panic are not growing musically at an exponential rate.

Ben Folds - Lost in the Supermarket (The Clash cover) [mp3]
really, this is too adorable. yes, I SAID A CLASH SONG IS ADORABLE. well, the cover anyways =)

Arctic Monkeys - Baby I'm Yours (Barbara Lewis cover) [mp3]
mmh. Alex Turner makes me melt.

The Kooks - Kids (MGMT cover) [mp3]
I think that I've posted this before, but it's so good that I'm reposting it. Luke + acoustic guitar = love. this song is so much fun to behold live (well, MGMT in general are pretty amazing live AND in studio), The Kooks give it a surprising twist.

and, of course, the song that has encited so much "it's better than the original" controversy:

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (Oasis cover)

I love both Ryan and Oasis. I adore Wonderwall. I might maybe prefer Ryan's version a wee bit, but my musical favouritism fluctuates like nobody's business. Plus, I've been kind of obsessed with Ryan the past couple of weeks. His voice is heavenly.

I enjoy good music, and both the UK and the US produce ace tunes. Granted, I'm exposed to more crap here on the US homefront (when I was home for the summer my brothers would play Chris Brown or Rhianna if they wanted to punish me or just piss me off) but I'm sure the UK has its share of lousy music. Oh, and one last thing, I am most definitely moving to Canada if McCain wins the election. Which is NOT going to happen. Just had to put that out there.

No comments: