Saturday, May 23, 2009

concert review: Margot & the Nuclear So and So's @GAMH 16 May 2009

Last Saturday night, Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s played Great American Music Hall. The eight piece band hail from Indianapolis and really truly go above and beyond in the orchestral pop genre. Their layered sound only increased on stage, and the band’s haunting set left me completely speechless.

From the first song (“A Children’s Crusade on Acid", one of my absolute favourites), however, I noticed that their lead singer Richard wasn’t delivering like I thought he would. He was quieter, not projecting his usually powerful voice. He soon explained that he had lost his voice for the first time in years, and apologized profusely for the state of things. Regardless, the amount of passion which he and his seven band mates delivered was awe inspiring. Richard’s relentless efforts were evident on stage, as he kept massaging his throat and tried his best to hit the difficult notes. It pained me to see him so pained, and I almost hoped that he wouldn’t come out for an encore, for his sake (he did anyways).

To my delight, the band played many songs off of their first prelabel album, The Dust of Retreat, which I had only recently purchased, but fell immediately in love with. Their strongest songs, “Quiet as a Mouse” and “Skeleton Key” come from that album, and the band played both of them. Everything considered, the concert was amazing, and Great American was, once again, the perfect accompaniment to the sonic booming emanating from such a wide array of instruments.
3.9/5

set list (click to enlarge):


Margot & the Nuclear So and So's - Quiet as a Mouse [mp3]


The two opening bands were Everything Now and Telekinesis. Everything Now had great energy, but lacked substance. Their music wasn’t interesting and the lead singer wasn’t particularly talented. However, they reminded me a lot of Delta Spirit in their impassioned delivery, which turned a handful of mediocre songs into a pretty enjoyable performance.
2.5/5

Telekinesis, on the other hand, was incredible. The Seattle band reminded me a lot of a more aggressive Jack’s Mannequin meets Death Cab song writing. Their set was flawless, led resolutely by their lead singer, who also played drums. The only parts I didn't like were the acoustic-y intros to some of their songs, which I later found that I LOVED on record. When I picked up their album, everything fell into place as I read the sticker saying “produced by Chris Walla”. I will post a proper review of their album soon, it’s really great.
4.5/5

everything now:


telekinesis:




margot & the nuclear so and so's:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so refreshing to see a blogger who's not afraid to tell it like it is! So many people are total slaves to the mainstream music industry, but you get it man, like don't ever bow down to those hype bands and major label dollars being spent to convey a "cool" or "indie" image, just keep it real like you are dude! Really Real!

By the way, I saw Everything, Now! at this same show and I agree they totally suck, mediocre major label type bullshit! They know nothing about rock and roll and the singer is a fat, talentless, hack!

-The Gnostisistist

Hanan said...

glad you enjoyed the post =)

I really appreciate the kind words...have a great day!