Saturday, November 7, 2009

Band of the Week: Cut off Your Hands


this morning, as I was gushing over the happy Strokes news of late, I wanted to listen to some music to match my mood. I opened up my cd drawer and my eye caught my The Shaky Hands cd, which reminded me of a slightly better band called Cut off Your Hands, nee Shaky Hands (they changed their name because of legal issues). so I pulled out my vinyl copy of You & I instead.

Cut Off Your Hands is like a lovely post-punk cocktail of The Clash, early Beatles, The Smiths' pop hooks (minus Morrissey's depressing lyrics) and your local indie group that makes music that you can dance to.

like recent blog darlings Girls, they make really good nostalgic music which is stuck in limbo between the 50's/60's/70's and the internet age. also like Girls, they fluctuate between wistful ballads and high energy dance numbers. they're like an infinitely better Kaiser Chiefs. and I like the Kaiser Chiefs.

everything is so right about this band, down to the live shows I've heard so much about. this is probably the best band you've never heard of, if I were you, I'd head on over to AMAZON (or your local record store) and pick up their debut right away.

I still have this clipping somewhere in my collection of music reviews etc

if you needed any more convincing, the band hails from New Zealand, which houses, without a doubt, the sexiest accent of the English language ever. don't believe me?

Cut off Your Hands - Oh Girl [mp3]



visit Cut off Your Hands on MYSPACE, they have some shows for their fellow Kiwis and Australian neighbours

3 comments:

Jim said...

they put on a great live show. I'm seeing them next week with midnight juggernauts in frankston

Neazzy said...

I'm loving your posts!

Hooray a NZ band - we do make good music here!

Check out The Veils and Mint Chicks

Hanan said...

I know the Veils, I picked up a CD of theirs in a clearance rack once. it had black and white album art.
I will look into the Mint Chicks, thanks for the rec.

glad you like the blog!

oh, and Jim, I envy you. I never got the chance to see them perform because they would always play 21+ shows and leave my sad 20 year old self in the dust.