Thursday, January 28, 2010

Classic Track Thursday


The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out [mp3]
from The Queen is Dead (1986)

this song captures so much of what I love about The Smiths, in the most astute way possible. it's just a perfect song, one which I cannot listen to only once at a time, and a great place to jumpstart an obsession with Morrissey, Marr and co.

The Smiths' short career produced four perfect LPs, each one of which I love more than the next. The Queen is Dead might be my all time fave, though, because it houses the above posted track, and the single ("The Boy With the Thorn in His Side") which spurred my all time favourite Smiths song as its b-side ("Asleep")

plus, my vinyl copy is greeeeeeeeeeeeen. it's so pretty.

4 comments:

Murphey said...

In a strange cosmic coincidence, I picked up a copy of The Queen is Dead last week, and have listened to it about 7 times already. I really didn't know what all the fuss was about, but boy was I blown away. Incredible record.

Rol said...

My favourite Smiths song. Ever.

Anonymous said...

the song even makes it in my "fav songs ever" top 5

Double Hawk said...

It's such a morbid song, but it's my favorite also.