Friday, February 12, 2010

Band of the week: Langhorne Slim


When I browse through record shops, I sometimes come across albums that make me stop, pick them up, and think “I should buy this”, even when I have no conceivable idea of what the music contained within the LP sounds like. Sometimes, a name will suffice, will ring a bell. “I’ve heard good things about this guy,” I tell myself.

This scenario has happened no less than 6 times with Be Set Free by Langhorne Slim. The album art has called out to me on so many occasions in so many different record stores. Every time, I put it back, favouring a big stack of records that my mind tells me has precedence over random LPs with inviting album covers.

Today, I finally listened to the album. And I have to say,
I have a new musical obsession.

This man. He can sing. He can wash away all of your troubles with his incredibly rich, soulful songs. Renew your spirit and reinstate your faith in folk music. Langhorne Slim effortlessly crafts Americana of the highest calibre. The kind of genuine music that would be the perfect soundtrack to a summer love story in North Carolina.

Note to self: always impulse by vinyl. Otherwise, I’m just prolonging my own exposure to intensely good music. Good heavens, this boy has something special.



Langhorne Slim – Say Yes [mp3, HIGHLY FUCKING RECOMMENDED!]
Langhorne Slim – Land of Dreams [mp3]
from Be Set Free (2009)

visit him on MYSPACE for more songs + non-West coast tour dates *wipes away tear*

3 comments:

nateraabe said...

LOOOVE this! Thanks for the recommendation

Hanan said...

glad to hear it!
thanks for being such an interactive reader. I almost always love the stuff you email me. that bonus stuff from Slanted and Enchanted is just GOLD.

Anonymous said...

this...is better than diamonds or gold

thanks so much for this and a trillion other amazing recommendations