Wednesday, March 10, 2010

concert review: Delta Spirit @ Bottom of the Hill (08 March)



Delta Spirit shows get me pumped like no other. They are real people making real(ly good) music and there is nothing more to it. You really don’t need anything else. Monday night’s show at Bottom of the Hill was their self dubbed trial run of songs from their forthcoming sophomore album, and it was fucking epic. The album, which will be called History From Below, was crafted as an ode to Howard Zinn before his recent passing. It was influenced by lead singer Matt Vasquez’s love for the late historian as well as Tom Waits and will see a release on June 8th. A supporting tour will follow.


Now for the good stuff. The band had me and the rest of the crowd completely mesmerized by their newer material. I was just spinning my copy of I Think I’ve Found It and realized how much Delta Spirit have honed their sound lately. The songs have a cleaner rock feel, which I realize sounds kind of bad but it really isn’t. The arrangements are more thought provoking, or as much as they will allow it to be, seeing as how noise making is their favourite thing. The only other band that makes music that makes me feel like Delta Spirit songs do is The Gaslight Anthem, but they’re in a completely different musical boat.

The second half of their set was composed mostly of older material, which the band nailed, no question. Damn it to hell I love them. They are definitely still my favourite live band, and will continue to be until August.


Dave Quon, the lead singer from opening band We Barbarians, has been filling the vacancy as guitarist since Sean left the band. He was really great and has my vote to become a permanent member of Delta Spirit.

Highlights of the set were “Strange Vine”, “Vivian”, and, of course, “Motivation" (which they closed the set with). When they encored with "Trashcan", I knew all was well in the universe. Bless them.


set list:


We Barbarians:




I’m still uploading videos so keep your eyes peeled for those, but here’s something to hold you guys over:

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This is SO EXCITING!!!

Double Hawk said...

I saw them open for The Shins last year. They were way awesome.

Anonymous said...

This website is the expert I liked it a whole lot