Friday, August 27, 2010

band of the week: She & Him

When She & Him released their debut, Volume I, I wasn't too thrilled with it. Theoretically, the combination of Zooey's damn-near-perfect vox and M.Ward's double whammy guitar/production proficiencies would be an indie equivalent to the wetdream that is Them Crooked Vultures, but the songs on the album were too...whiny for my taste. Whiny isn't even a good word here. But anyways.

I love Volume II. It was released in March and kicks off with "Thieves"--a summery, Rilo Kiley inspired track that sets the bar for the rest of the album, which is much more positive than its predecessor. It's absolutely darling, there are no two ways about it. The cuteness gets close to being annoying, but not really. It makes me want to spend the rest of my days clad in a breezy dress twirling around in a sunny field. And I say this whilst wearing black jeans and a black Led Zeppelin shirt.

Regardless of where your music inclinations lie, She & Him will melt your heart. It took two albums, but they've definitely won me over.

Now pass me that tambourine.

She & Him - In The Sun [mp3]




visit them on MYSPACE

No comments: