Friday, August 22, 2008

band of the week: MGMT + record review


I've been meaning to blog about my love for their debut record "Oracular Spectacular" all week, so this works quite nicely. This NY based duo (Andrew and Ben) have taken psychedelic rock on a whole new level. I remember, hearing "Time To Pretend" for the first time, thinking that this was just another band with a catchy single who would inevitably be drowned out by the rest of the music industry trying to do the same thing. But I did acquire their record, and upon my first listen, I was pleasantly surprised to the contrary. Easily one of the year's best releases thus far, Oracular Spectacular is indeed a spectacle for your ears to behold. From lyrics that make fun of famous people (so, themselves, really): "Let's make some music, make some money, find some models for wives; I'll move to Paris, shoot some heroin, and fuck with the stars"-to some happy go lucky declarations of childlike wonder (Kids; The Youth), this record is just teeming with ridiculously good melodies and trust me, you will find yourself dancing to it, although somewhat unconsciously. There is even a hint of early RHCP type guitars ("Of Moons, Birds and Monsters"), and the record ends with "Future Reflections", a tune that mixes a very futuristic feel (haha appropriate) with a subtle chord progression emanating a more vintage sound. It's as if MGMT wants to remind us that the whole electronica/psychedelic fad is ultimately grounded in the 60's, which probably produced more acid-influenced records than any other decade. "This is a call of arms to live and love and sleep together" sums up that theme quite nicely.

I did have the lovely opportunity to see them live, and they were superb (although at one point the mic wasn't working, and I was about to go crazy. this was before Andrew started singing and I was just bubbling with happy suspense.) so, if you have the chance, check out their live renditions of their very palatable songs.

enjoy my favourite tracks from the record below, and do go out and buy the record, you will not regret it.

MGMT - The Youth [mp3]

MGMT - Electric Feel [mp3]

MGMT - Kids [mp3]

(oddly enough, they are consecutive)

also, visit them on MYSPACE.

No comments: