Sunday, December 14, 2008

Band of the Week: The Dead Trees



this Portland based band (originally from Boston) opened up for Little Joy on Tuesday night. the combination of their lead singer's scratchy carefree voice which gets intense sometimes when he yells verses (see "well I could use another helper to see me through" in 'Shelter') and their lead guitarist's uncanny talent (which meshes beautifully with the rhythm) is like a good kick in the groin, metaphorically speaking of course

Tad - bass



Matthew - lead guitar (he may or may not have been the highlight of the set. ok, fine, I'll say it. he. was. freaking. brilliant)



Michael - lead vox, rhythm guitar



Noah - drums


+ Tory (Tad's brother who plays an extra set of drums + keyboard + other miscellaneous things)


they are all lovely people, kind of broke though. poor Noah had to drop out of Berkelee because it was too expensive. support them and other starving musicians! go out to shows, buy their shit. they put all of their soul into their music, the least we can do is reciprocate with 15 bucks or whatnot.

for fans of: Grand Ole Party, The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

unfortunately, the vinyl copy of King of Rosa that I bought didn't come with a digital download, so I am going to post the song floating on hype machine:

The Dead Trees - Shelter [mp3]

oh, and they had a DAYTROTTER SESSION

visit the band on MYSPACE
and catch them on their remaining Euro tour dates with Little Joy!

Jan 10 2009 8:00P
Botanique w/LITTLE JOY Brussels
Jan 11 2009 8:00P
Paradiso w/ LITTLE JOY Amsterdam
Jan 12 2009 8:00P
Gebaude 9 w/ LITTLE JOY Cologne
Jan 13 2009 8:00P
La Maroquinerie w/ LITTLE JOY Paris
Jan 15 2009 8:00P
Audio w/LITTLE JOY Brighton
Jan 16 2009 8:00P
The Leadmill w/ LITTLE JOY Sheffield
Jan 17 2009 8:00P
Stereo w/ LITTLE JOY Glasgow
Jan 19 2009 8:00P
Cockpit w/ LITTLE JOY Leeds
Jan 20 2009 8:00P
Academy 3 w/ LITTLE JOY Manchester
Jan 21 2009 8:00P
Dingwalls w/LITTLE JOY London

3 comments:

_Jackie_ said...

I saw them open for Little Joy on Sunday night. I'd heard of them before, but that was the first time I heard their stuff. They were pretty great. Kinda wish I'd looked them up before the show =-/

I got the vinyl copy of their album but my sister got the cd. If you want it, I could email it to you =-)

Hanan said...

me too! the other opening band (Red Cortez) was ok but they were great.

I would love you forever if you did that for me (then I could have it on my mp3 player!). you have my email right?
well, just for good measure: h_erikat89@yahoo.com

www.mueblesencorbera.com said...

Goodness, there is really much worthwhile data in this post!