Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday Music Definitions: (the) French

I was having a conversation a few nights ago with a friend of mine regarding my ambiguous and often ever-changing perception of French culture, my hot/cold, love/hate "relationship" with it, if you will

I mean, there's some stuff that is invaluable: Proust, Napoleon, Rousseau, all those geniuses who wrote the fabliaux (just about some of the coolest medieval erotic poems ever), Justice, Daft Punk and Sacha Baron Cohen's character in Talladega Nights and the genius of the crepe to name a few

but then, at other times I find myself really quite indifferent, or even kind of hostile to France, the French, and everything else to do with them. and really quite laughing at this:



but yeah, I need to come to terms with France soon, as I'll eventually be studying the damned language full on for my intended graduate studies in comp lit.

here are some tunes for your Saturday afternoon

Babyshambles - French Dog Blues [mp3]

Delta Spirit - French Quarter (daytrotter) [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]


Les Savy Fav - The French Kicks [mp3]


The Teenagers- French Kiss [mp3]

BONUS:

Beirut - Napoleon on the Bellerophon [mp3]

from the Pompeii EP

go forth and play outside, enjoy the sunshine!

No comments: