Saturday, May 9, 2009

Band of the Week: Foo Fighters


yesterday, I found the Foo Fighter's debut album in the Amoeba clearance racks for 4 dollars. I was listening to it last night and rememebered how much Foo Fighters rock

Foo Fighters, as you all know, is Dave Grohl's band, formed after Kurt Cobain died in 1994

while they are indeed indebted to the grunge sound that Nirvana was so famous for, they, like Queens of the Stone Age, moved far past realms of either Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

with each album, they gained more complexity, and the culmination of this can easily be seen on their latest release: Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace (2007)

In Your Honor (2005) consisted of two cds, one elctric and one acoustic, both incredibly haunting.

now I know this is a loaded statement, but I'm gonna say it: Foo Fighters are a lot better than Nirvana. their albums flow better, Dave is a better singer than Kurt, and his musical skills are much better utilized on guitar than behind a drum kit.

Foo Fighters are a band that I love, but I somehow forgot that I loved them. at this point, I've heard all of their albums, and have not come across a song of theirs that I don't like. for some reason, though, I never really thought about what a well-rounded and accomplished band they are.

now, I hope this post will get you guys to (re)discover Foo Fighters. download a couple of songs off their s/t debut below:

Foo Fighters - This is a Call [mp3]

Foo Fighters - Exhausted [mp3]

the band is currently working on a new album.

No comments: