Friday, May 29, 2009

band of the week + record review: Telekinesis


For fans of: Death Cab for Cutie; Jack’s Mannequin; Voxtrot; The Smiths; The Morning Benders; fantastic chord progressions

I’ve been doing something that I haven’t done since high school, and back then this was done primarily with Jimmy Eat World albums. I’ve been poring over the liner notes for the band’s eponymous debut album. The reasons I haven’t been doing this recently is a.) most bands don’t include their lyrics in their liner notes anymore [mostly because…] b.) the state of lyricism in modern pop music is pretty bad.

The album begins:

“I’ve got a heart but it’s afraid to love,
Sometimes I think the damn thing’s full of rust”

which really, really makes me nostalgic for my high school days when I spent all my time with headphones on, writing in my journal constantly and thinking of ways to better myself and the world. This album makes me miss my old self: slightly more erratic, but more driven and passionate and happily less aware of the dreariness that is the world.

It’s funny, I can always rely on Seattle based bands to come through with great song writing. That being said, two things are absolutely transparent on Telekinesis’ fantastic s/t album: Chris Walla of Death Cab for Cutie produced it (and this album is a million times better than Walla’s solo album…that effort was actually pretty awful) and the guy manning the drums most certainly writes the songs. The self assured cadence emanating from the drum set flows far too well with the guitars to be coincidental.

Songwriter Michael Benjamin Lerner is a purely and simply an incredibly insightful genius, clearly manifest musically to my ears’ delight. He plays all the instruments on record, but sticks to drums and vocals during live performances.



His singing style closely resembles Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend, but much softer, less piercing. I haven’t enjoyed a slew of 11 songs like this in ages. The album actually feels like an album. Something that flows, not just a random assortment of thrashing sonic explosions to blast in clubs as twenty-somethings rub up against strangers. Telekinesis! feels like the perfect Spring album, but I swear I'll feel the same way in the fall, and in the winter, and even when the weather gets really hot soon. An album for all seasons, an album for all listeners. Listening to Telekinesis creates this simultaneous rush of feelings of intimate solitude and a universal connectedness to the whole world. In short, it does everything that an album should. This record sounds great with headphones or without, and it isn’t too far removed from their top notch live set. However, their EP is slightly weaker in comparison, so I wouldn’t recommend that you guys start with it (I actually had purchased the EP at the merch table, and then, dissatisfied, I headed down to Amoeba and picked up the full length, a very wise decision if I do say so myself).

I am thrilled to say that I’ve found my happy-yet-reflective album of the year. The one that combines sunshine-y guitar bits with semi-dreary lyrics, all delivered in a wonderfully melodic manner.

The album ends:

“I want to care for you when you are all alone,
sit inside our house and unplug all our phones
Watching raindrops stream down on the windowsill,
Let’s be in love”

Mr. Lerner, thank you for reminding me that not all modern music is crappy synth driven dance beats devoid of any actual substance.

If you guys will buy one album this year, make it this one. Telekinesis! is definitely my favourite release of the year so far and none of you can afford not to listen to it.



4.8/5

Telekinesis – Coast of Carolina [mp3]

Telekinesis – Calling All Doctors [mp3]=

visit the band on MYSPACE



tour dates:
May 30 Immergut Festival Neustrelitz
May 31 FRITZ Ken FM radio show Berlin
Jun 1 Chelsea w/ Kristoffer Ragnstam Vienna
Jun 2 Orangehouse w/ Kristoffer Ragnstam Munich
Jun 3 Muz w/ Kristoffer Ragnstam Nuremberg
Jun 4 Magnet w/ Kristoffer Ragnstam Berlin
Jun 7 Schubas w/ An Horse Chicago, Illinois
Jun 8 Pike Room at the Crofoot w/ An Horse Pontiac, Michigan
Jun 10 Horseshoe Tavern w/ An Horse Toronto, Ontario
Jun 11 Club Lambi w/ An Horse Montreal, Quebec
Jun 12 Iron Hore Music Hall w/ An Horse Northampton, Massachusetts
Jun 13 Union Hall w/ An Horse Brooklyn, New York
Jun 14 Mercury Lounge w/ An Horse New York, New York
Jun 16 Kungfu Necktie w/ An Horse Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jun 17 Black Cat Backstage w/ An Horse Washington DC, Washington DC
Jun 18 Local 506 w/ An Horse Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Jun 19 The Earl w/ An Horse Atlanta, Georgia
Jun 20 The End w/ An Horse Nashville, Tennessee
Jun 21 Off Broadway w/ An Horse St. Louis, Missouri
Jun 22 The Slowdown Jr. w/ An Horse Omaha, Nebraska
Jun 23 Hi-Dive w/ An Horse Denver, Colorado

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your album review is spot on... and seeing them live is an experience in itself.

Hanan said...

indeed
thanks for the kind words =)