Wednesday, May 27, 2009

concert review: The Walkmen and Kings of Leon @ Bill Graham Civic 21 May 2009

Kings of Leon played a sold out Bill Graham Civic last Thursday night and boy oh boy what an epic night of music it was. Having finished finals and turned in my thesis, I had nothing better to do than plop myself down outside the venue at around 1:30 in the afternoon (after sleeping in, taking a shower, grabbing a bite to eat and picking up something to read at Half Price Books), among 8 or 9 other fans who were as adamant as I was to be at the front of the massive venue.

The night commenced with a NY band that I quite like called The Walkmen, whose live show was nothing less than perfect. They shook up the stage with a powerful set led primarily by drummer Matt Barrick and lead singer Hamilton Leithauser. When I went back to listen to their recorded stuff after the show, it didn’t resonate as much (kind of like Born Ruffians). There is something about The Walkmen’s songs that cannot be captured in studio, and that is half a blessing and half a curse. Regardless, I will definitely be checking them out when they come back to the Bay Area, and I recommend that you all do the same. Seriously, just watch the following video and you’ll understand:



4/5

photos:





Everyone has gone on and on about how much Kings of Leon have changed; this is something which I couldn’t fully grasp until I saw their much changed live set last week. While anybody could see a vast discrepancy between Youth and Young Manhood and Only By the Night, I had received the change in sound as more gradual, as Because of the Times was slower and more reflective than either their debut or Aha Shake Heartbreak.

While the boys only played ONE song off of my beloved Youth and Young Manhood (“Molly’s Chambers”; the stubborn bastards would not acquiesce to my constant pleas for “Red Morning Light”), they surprised me by including a bunch of songs off of Aha Shake Heartbreak. But the way that they relayed all of the songs, including the ones off of their second album, was much more subdued, and had much less rock n roll swagger as old Kings of Leon.

It seems as though they really have cleaned up their act for good, something which I don't want to admit that I can actually appreciate. The boys are no longer boys: they're men. Most of them are in committed relationships, and they've matured into a sound that is far removed from their wonderfully carefree Youth, yet that isn't a bad thing. Evolution is just that. If they continued making songs with messy guitars and drunken choruses, people would eventually snub them as a one note act.

Kings of Leon are a rare example of a band who knows exactly how to progress as time goes by. But anyhow, back to their live show; I need to state this explicitly: just because their set wasn't what I was expecting, it still was perfect in every way imaginable. My one complaint (other than the inadequate amount of songs from their debut) would be that Matthew's guitar was turned down during most of the set, and you could barely even hear it during the iconic riff in "Sex on Fire". Regardless, all four Followills played their hearts out, and Caleb's voice was as pure and powerful as ever. Chills were abundant, and those of us in the front row were singing along to each and every one of their twenty one songs. Kings of Leon remain humble as ever, recognizing how lucky they are to be where they are. Caleb thanked the crowd for supporting the band and for spending money on a ticket in these tough economic times. That's another incredible thing about Kings of Leon: they have kept level heads throughout all of this fame and glory. They also miraculously managed to keep the massive show sounding intimate, and I will be watching the videos of the show on YOUTUBE indefinitely, reliving the glorious night.

While I still insist that the Kings’ increased “fanbase” doesn’t correlate with selling out, it did bother me that the two different people whom I spoke to on the train back home both had bought scalper tickets for more than a hundred dollars, and they weren’t even fans of the band: they had gone on their friends’ requests. But whatever, douchebags will be douchebags; if it means that one of my favourite bands is finally getting the attention that they deserve, I am not complaining.



4.5/5

set list:


photos:








10 comments:

Eric said...

I want to see KOL so bad. Is there a YouTube channel we can visit for more videos because you were right, the video quality was excellent.

And should I download an album by The Walkmen?

Hanan said...

yes, I linked it in the post but I guess it wasn't explicit enough:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cafarm

um, check your email inbox

eric said...

I probably just spaced out when I went through and read.

How did you shoot the video? It's not just a cell phone camera, is it?

I can't wait to see KOL at Lollapalooza and I think The Walkmen are going to be there too.

Awesome post.

Hanan said...

erm no I didn't take the videos

my camera usually takes pretty good videos (here is my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/musicinducedeuphoria) but the security guards didn't allow us to take videos and I was standing front row center so I really couldn't take any videos. the guy who took them was pretty far back, but he got really great stuff

oh that sounds awesome! I didn't know you lived in the Chicago area...who else is playing this year?

eric said...

He did get really good stuff, I agree.

Lollapalooza should be a lot of fun. You can see the whole lineup here (http://2009.lollapalooza.com/). I'm excited to see the Arctic Monkeys, KOL, TV on the Radio, Vampire Weekend, The Killers, Lou Reed, The Virgins, The Knux, Kid Cudi, A-Trak and Santigold.

The interesting thing about the lineup is that Depeche Mode were the top headliners, but they canceled all their tour dates today because their singer had cancer surgery today. That's kind of sad, but I really didn't want to see Depeche Mode, so maybe they'll bring in someone like Muse to headline. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing KOL soon, this makes me really excited now!

nateraabe said...

Saw KOL last year and it was great. It's so hard to want a band to have the fanbase they deserve, yet hate that they need bigger venues. I saw them in 06 at a place that held about 1,000 people. In 07 I had to settle for the middle of a theater w/ seats.
P.S. How do you end up with setlists for every show you go to? I've been trying to get a KOL setlist for years to go with my 2 KOL drumsticks and guitar pick!

Hanan said...

to eric:
beware, The Killers are awful live. Brandon Flowers has terrible stage fright. it's quite tragic. also, The Virgins are in decline and I hate Santigold.

K., let me know how it goes! I'm sure you'll have a killer time

nateraabe, I know what you mean. I half don't want Delta Spirit to ever get big just because I wanna keep seeing them at small venues.
oh dude, Nathan throws out so many sticks! and to answer your question, I don't. I usually snag the set list about a third of the time but I always take a photo of it, even if someone else possesses it. that way, I can remember what the band played, and you lovely readers can be informed as well =) so yeah, in this case, I didn't manage to GET the set list, but I snapped a quick photo of it nonetheless

jgeesey11 said...

Hey! I was at this show and it was absolutely incredible. I was actually wondering if you have the set list for The Walkmen from that night too. I'd love to know what songs they played! Thanks!
-Jess

Hanan said...

no dude, sorry, I don't think they even threw it out to the crowd so it might be difficult to get a hold of but good luck nonetheless