Friday, July 31, 2009

Band of the Week: The Helio Sequence


I saw this Oregon based duo (Brandon Summers and Benjamin Weikel) open up for Minus the Bear at the Fillmore a couple of years ago. What struck me most was their drummer.

When I looked him up, I found out that he was Modest Mouse's drummer circa Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Even now, as I listen to them, the technically proficient, highly evolved drumming is what sticks out.

I'd describe the music as electronic indie rock, but as that label would normally drive ME away, just listen and you'll understand.

The Helio Sequence - Repeater [mp3]
from 2004's Love and Distance

visit the band on MYSPACE

2 comments:

there were wolves said...

Yes! More people need to listen to these guys! 'Harmonica Song', from the same album as 'Repeater', is probably my favourite song ever made. Indeed, absolute perfect balance of electronic and rock (Although last year's album 'Keep Your Eyes Ahead' would barely fall under that label.)

Anonymous said...

While we're on the subject of awesome Duos... my fave is brother duo Heth and Jed. www.hethandjed.com These guys blow minds every day on the streets of NYC.