Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday Morning Covers


ZIP FILE

Social Distortion - Death Or Glory (The Clash cover) [mp3]

The Black Keys - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles (Captain Beefheart Cover) [mp3]


Wilco - Peace Love and Understanding (Elvis Costello cover)[mp3]

Jamie Cullum - Lover, You Should Have Come Over (Jeff Buckley cover) [mp3]
Jamie Cullum's debut, Twentysomething has consistently been one of my favourite albums for over five years now. it's mostly composed of covers, but it exposed me to songs before I knew the originals (ex. Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary" and Radiohead's "High and Dry"). I love Jamie Cullum very very much. I don't listen to his second album (Catching Tales) as much as I should. when I was looking through the new issue of Q last week, I noticed that he had a new album out. must get my hands on that.

Dashboard Confessional - Angels Of The Silences (Counting Crowes cover) [mp3]

Elliott Smith - Isn't It a Pity (George Harrison cover) [mp3]

Nickel Eye - Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye (Leonard Cohen cover) [mp3]

Iron & Wine/ Calexico - Always On My Mind (Willie Nelson Cover) [mp3]

Metric - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (Bob Dylan cover) [mp3]


Elvis Costello - Beautiful (Christina Aguilera cover) [mp3]

Division Day - Ghosts (Japan cover) [mp3]


Beck/Wilco/Feist - Little Hands (Skip Spence cover) [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED]
oh Beck. won't you ever come back to the realm of us mortals?

The White Stripes - Moonage Daydream (David Bowie cover) [mp3]
have you all seen THIS? it's pretty great, shows you that even a savage like Bowie was once a awkward twenty year old.

Beach House - Play The Game (Queen Cover) [mp3]


Ben Folds - Say Yes (Elliott Smith cover) [mp3]
this was playing on repeat in my head while I was dreaming. not the cover, but the original from Either/Or. the cover is quite good though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turned my brother and my dad onto Jamie Cullum. I only have his first album. I'd say I only like about half the songs though.

I knew that those songs were covers but I never knew who the original artists were. That's cool, thanks.

_Jackie_ said...

Wasn't that Bowie fan letter awesome? As much as I love modern technology, I can't imagine what it would be like to send out a written letter to my favorite band and maybe get a reply.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Marge gets a letter back from Ringo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPr8KmINz4

Hanan said...

Jackie, you did NOT have to link me for that, because that is exactly what I thought of when I saw the headline! =)

and Mary Shea, most of the songs on the first album are covers. wikipedia will be more thorough than I am, check it out.
"All At Sea" (he wrote that one) has got to be one of my favourite songs ever. also, I love the lyrics to "Twentysomething". I love how he sings it. and I love jazz.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I asked for it for my birthday when he was first emerging as an artist. All At Sea was featured on VH1. I must have been like eleven or twelve. It was a pleasant surprise to hear that the rest of the album was far more jazz-y (I don't think I've ever turned jazz into an adjective before haha...jazzier?).