Saturday, December 12, 2009

Band of the Week: The Ugly Club

(click to enlarge.)

The Ugly Club is the greatest supergroup you’ve never heard of. It essentially combines members from different NJ indie bands and harnesses their collective energy, prior experience and all. It’s a musical wet dream: all of these guys love 60’s soul as well as geeeeeeeetar, and you can just imagine the band forming after a gig they all played with their separate bands, where everyone is joining on stage and band lines become blurred in the pursuit of frolic.

Best of all, the music builds trombone and trumpet over the essential indie rock base, and it really shines through on soaring solos in songs like “Follow the Sound”.

If I ever owned a bookstore or café, this is the kind of music I’d play, all of the time.

The band members come from The Command Radio, Socratic, Beale Street Love, The Talking Machine, and MIE lovelies The Static Jacks. These boys obviously know how to have a good time, so why not join in on the fun?

They are releasing their "Sing What You Want" EP next week, here’s a track in advance.

The Ugly Club – Follow the Sound [mp3]

visit them on MYSPACE for info on their record release party, gig dates and other great stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess I downloaded Follow the Sound from this post but never really listened to it. This week I finally went back and made a much-overdue playlist, and I can't stop listening to this song! So thank you! (I also had The Static Jack's The Waltz on repeat a few months back...)

Hanan said...

you're quite welcome. I was actually listening to The Static Jacks yesterday =) The Waltz is one of my favourites songs ever. it's so pretty

both of these bands are great =)