Friday, August 8, 2008

Band of the Week: The Clash


Ok, I'm cheating. Band of the week is about exposing you lovely readers to obscure indie bands that actually make tasty tunes. But I've been listening to nothing but The Clash ALL WEEK. I've been humming "Rock the Casbah" for ages (I love that song particularly because I was raised Muslim and my parents HATE my love for "the rock n roll"). Hot damn this band is the coolest. By far the best punk act. London Calling is a fucking masterpiece.

So if you guys have not yet worshiped this band, I suggest that you start very very soon. Download one of their songs below and go out to your local record store and get their eponymous debut on vinyl. Or I'd recommend this compilation -> The Clash - The Singles. But vinyl >>> everything else so yeah.

One of my favourite things about this band is the timelessness of their lyrics. Another is how they pack so much punch in such short songs.

Here's a cool website dedicated to all things Clash.

The Clash - Cheat [mp3]

fucking sweet guitar solo.

2 comments:

Murphey said...

You just lost mad points from me for even recommending a compilation, even if it is Clash.

Hanan said...

I hate compilations too, because they make you lose the essence of the album, the theme and what not, but I also understand that unfortunately, some people are not blessed with the knowledge that you and I have about the importance of original issues, and need to listen to singles before they can get into a band. it's sad, but it's true.

also, I have to admit that I do like The Killers' compilation "Sawdust" only because it gave me some new Killers tunes while the new record was in the works. but it's no where as good as Hot Fuss or Sam's Town.

and, done.