Tuesday, September 23, 2008

record review: Kings of Leon - Because of the Times


I am such a fucking pothead. This morning, I look at my notebook of record reviews and realize (or think so at least) that I already wrote a review for the new K o L record. After I typed it out, I realize that that is THE THIRD RECORD, NOT THE NEWEST ONE. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm an insomniac who does drugs. Not a good combo, nope, not at all. Oh well, I don't feel like reviewing Only By The Night right now (I probably will later in the week), this review is pretty accurate though. Anyhow, I don't expect you to read my review of their year old record, but I typed it so I sure as hell am posting it.

_________________________________

Garage rock is known for its Clash-like aspects, most notably for short, fast rock anthems that piss adults off. The Kings of Leon's third effort opens with a seven minute track, but remarkably, you fail to realize how long it is because, like the songs of Zeppelin, it proves to be epic, not overstretched. Entitled "Knocked up", it tells the tale of a man's confrontation with his pregnant girlfriend and his determination to do the thing properly. The Kings of Leon follow his example and soar with their third record.

The Kings soon jump back into the band we know and love, like the powerful bass line and louder-than-thou guitars in "On Call".

Caleb's screeching vocals in "Black Thumbnail" remind listeners of the Georgia band's southern roots, but that is most definitely not a bad thing.

The lyrics overflow with a sense of rejection, of incompetence. "Girl, you're wanted like a wanted man," Caleb sings. He tells us that he's been rejected by a girl with a "smart mouth and a killer hand". All but three of the thirteen songs have the word (and theme) "she" in them. The exceptions can be summed up: "And I want to say here's to me to go and change the world". Lucky for us, the Kings have already done so.

All in all, while this is definitely not a conventional love letter album, it's 51 minutes of tasty bass parts and hooks like nobody's business. 3.5/5 stars

And now, I present my favourite track:

Kings of Leon - Ragoo [mp3]

No comments: