Friday, October 24, 2008

Band of the Week: The Last Shadow Puppets

2008, as we know it, has been a year of side projects and solo efforts. therefore, you may have overlooked the very cool collaboration project between Miles Kane of The Rascals and Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. if this is the case, shame on you. they released their fantastic debut (The Age of the Understatement) in April, and have since released 3 amazing music videos to accompany their singles:

the age of understatement:


standing next to me (hello Beatles outfits =)):


and, my personal favourite: my mistakes were made for you:



remember, a lot of times a band is hyped because they MAKE GOOD MUSIC.

don't believe me?

listen below:

TLSP - SOS (Rihanna cover) [mp3]

so so so so good. I can't emphasize how good this is. it's amazing how they can turn a song I hate into one I love.

TLSP - In the heat of the morning (Bowie cover) [mp3]
also an excellent cover. I am heavily biased in favour of Bowie, Alex, Miles and other fabulous British musicians

TLSP - My Mistakes Were Made for You (live on Jools Holland) [mp3]


TLSP - Calm Like You (album version) [mp3]


I would say more about this spectacular band but a.their music speaks for itself and b. I am incredibly tired and have loads of work to do.

enjoy.

5 comments:

Murphey said...

I would do horrible, lewd, unforgivable things to Alex Turner. This is a fact.

_Jackie_ said...

THANK YOU for putting this up! I can't tell you how many people I know haven't heard/listened to them. Alex is amazing, but I'm crazy about Miles. Words can't describe how much I love that man. I'm seeing them in L.A. next Monday. I've never been so nervous to see a band before.

Hanan said...

Murphey, I feel the same way. he is a beast.

Jackie, I know, it's so frustrated, considering how most people listen to mainstream crap. have fun at the show! I'm jealous. I'm still waiting for them to roll into the bay area. when I saw the Monkeys last year, I almost died. such a good show.

_Jackie_ said...

Yeah, I totally agree. Ah, but you saw the Arctic Monkeys =-) I've never seen them live before, even though they are one of my absolute favorites.

Hanan said...

I can't wait for their third record, it's supposed to be psychedelic