Friday, December 26, 2008

band of the week: The Doors


band of the week often comes down to the band I listened to a lot during any given week, and today's post is no exception

now, I know this is blasphemy, but I never really got into The Doors before.

I have been obsessively spinning the various dollar vinyl records I own (I love Amoeba), and I realized that the Doors record I had picked up was an original copy of their eponymous debut, minus the original album sleeve. anyhow, I've listened to it through a ridiculous number of times and my verdict is...

JIM MORRISON IS A SEXY VAMPIRE.

I think the reason I had never really gotten into this phenomenal band before was I never gave them proper, undivided attention. I love winter break. anyhow, I suggest you all do the same if you aren't already Doors fans and listen meticulously to some incredible music I've somehow managed to look over.

anyhow, here are some mp3s and a WEBSITE of all things Doors.

The Doors - Break on Through (to the other side) [mp3]

this one is really well known, even my uncultured 15 year old brother loves it

The Doors - Light My Fire [mp3, highly recommended!]

The Doors - When the Music's Over (live in concert) [mp3]

8 comments:

Murphey said...

Better late than never, as far as I'm concerned.

Check out s/t, Strange Days, and LA Woman, if you haven't already.

Murphey said...

Oh, and Waiting for the Sun is an honorable mention.

_Jackie_ said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've listened to them, but I haven't really gotten obsessed with them. I'll take your word for it and listen to their s/t and see what happens =-)

Anonymous said...

the doors are awesome. takes me back to my high school hippie days. take your time with each album cause they all good! i really like this song: peace frog

Hanan said...

Murphey: I am still on their s/t but I will be sure to pick those up the next time I go to the record store. but I'll eventually get through them all, I really really like them.

Jackie: you remind me of myself so much when it comes to music

Abel: high school hippie days, eh? well I am in my college hippie days of a soon to be hippie lifestyle. for the most part, anyways. I am only now beginning to appreciate how much of a G-d Neil Young is. that is the power of vinyllll

Anonymous said...

Man, I love "dollar records!"

Hanan said...

me too, Matt, me too.

Hanan said...

wait, you're the addicted to vinyl guy! haha awesome! I loove your blog. thanks for stopping by =)