Friday, January 16, 2009

Band of the Week: Hockey


I haven't been this excited about a band since I first heard The Virgins.

Incidentally, this band also sounds like my ever so beloved Strokes. Think The Strokes + of Montreal + Justice set in the late 70's/early 80's.

download both of these songs! you can't afford not to listen to this band. they know what they are doing.

Hockey - Song Away [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
this sounds like the love child of Lou Reed and David Bowie.

Hockey - Too Fake [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
more synth driven, this song shows off the eclectic palette of the Portland based band.

for fans of: good pop music, dancing, and clever lyrics

visit them on MYSPACE!

they are all sold out of their debut CD ("Mind Chaos") , but have still have copies a la vinyl in stock.

they also have a handful of tour dates, unfortunately none in my area.

Jan 21 Union Hall Brooklyn, New York
Jan 22 Santos Party House NY, New York
Jan 23 Mercury Lounge NY, New York
Jan 24 Pianos NY, New York
Feb 17 Audio Brighton
Feb 19 Bullingdon Arms Oxford
Feb 20 Cooler Bristol
Feb 23 Cargo London
Feb 24 02 Academy 3 Birmingham
Feb 25 Ruby Lounge Machester
Feb 26 Captains Rest Glasgow
Feb 27 The Brudanell Social Club Leeds

many thanks to MUSIC FROM A GREEN WINDOW for exposing me to this band!

5 comments:

_Jackie_ said...

They opened for the Kaiser Chiefs at their L.A. show in November. I really liked them.
Their album is pretty good, but those two songs definitely are two of the best =-D

2plus2isjoe said...

No problemo :)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't too exited when I first heard them, I find them a tad generic. I say that in the least offensive way possible.

btw my teacher is brother to the guitarist :)

Greg said...

Woah. Good call! (Thanks.)

Hanan said...

thanks to everyone for the feedback!