Monday, April 20, 2009

artist to watch: all of us/none of us


on their latest EP(released December of last year)entitled Arcane and Abel, this LA based band used a 15th century illumination of "Cane and Abel" for their cover art. how they knew I had a weakness for all things medieval, I have no idea.

they also figured out how to intrigue me musically, by throwing together a group of songs that sound like a darker, more brooding Beck with a bit more rock n roll edge.

I had a chance to ask their guitarist and singer Eric a few questions:

you claim to draw from Beck and Radiohead, which is pretty apparent. I also hear some refined grunge sounds. was this intentional? are all of us/none of us fans of the 90's genre?
We are definitely fans of 90's music. I suppose our main influences from that decade would include Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, and the Flaming Lips.

what are the best and worst things about being in the LA music industry?
The best thing for me about being in a band in Los Angeles is that we're in good company. There are a lot of good bands and most of them are nice and supportive people. The worst thing is that there are so many bands playing at so many clubs every single night that it's really tough to fill a club if you're not a big name or opening for a big name act.

you're making a road trip mix. what are the first three songs?
I think I'm bad at making road trip mixes. Mine would include things that most road trippers would cringe at like the complete first book of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier or the Brandenburg Concertos.

what's your favourite sad song?

Right now my favorite sad song is Videotape by Radiohead.

what does all of us/none of us want to do that will set them apart from other bands?
One thing we want to do is to release an EP of four songs every 6-9 months, each beginning with a different letter of the alphabet, in order. The title of our next EP will start with the letter b. We will go through the whole alphabet unless we die first. When we finish we will either retire, quit, or think of something equally stupid to do.

what is the most useful thing you learned at the conservatory?
Probably the most useful thing I learned at the conservatory was to simply accept the gig and then figure out how to do it later. It's gotten me many playing gigs and many teaching gigs as well.

how did the band form? why did you leave SF for LA?
The band formed because we decided to play the material live. It began as a songwriting collaboration through the mail between Rob and myself. I left San Francisco because my girlfriend and I (now my wife of 7 years) decided to come back home. I grew up in Los Angeles and she grew up in San Diego.

what's the worst song on the radio right now?
I honestly don't listen to music on the radio so I really don't know.

all of us/none of us - watcha gonna do [mp3]

all of us/none of us - hurts my head [mp3]

visit the band on MYSPACE

No comments: