Saturday, April 25, 2009

Band of the Week: Elliott Smith


I rarely spend time in front of a television screen, for tv or movies...I'd much rather spin a record or go to a show. But tonight, I decided to rewatch Good Will Hunting, a film I hadn't seen in years (although fond memories of its effect on me were still fresh in my brain).

The last time I had watched it, however, predated my fascination with Elliott Smith, whose music, of course, scored the film (and brought him into the limelight).

And I just have to say, well done. It was all so beautiful.

Then I realized,
"oh damn I forgot to post band of the week today",
and then,
"double damn, I've never posted Elliott in the aforementioned category."

But there's a reason for that. I love Elliott Smith too much, and have had to deal with too many people who cannot fathom his brilliance (and to those people I say, I have nothing to say to you). It is just too painful for me to have to deal with that, because Elliott Smith's music has affected me in so many ways, yet in no way at all.

Let me explain:
Elliott Smith belongs to the rare caste of musician who can completely captivate me to the point where I cannot do or say or think anything while I am listening to his music.

When you listen to his music with headphones on underneath a tree, his voice whispering as the wind slowly does the same, really, few things in the world matter.

Nothing matters, except for you. You, and Elliott, sharing the beautiful mess that is life.

And your mind races,
And it's at ease,
And you smile,
And you cry,
And it's heartbreaking,
and it's absolutely perfect.

I discovered Elliott when I was in high school. I had picked up his album XO from the library, having heard of him, but never his music.

By the third song (Waltz #2, which indeed, remains to this day, my favourite song by him), I had shivers. I was absolutely hooked. I listened to track three on repeat for hours that day.

Elliott Smith was too beautiful for this world. Like all great geniuses, he is completely underappreciated and inaccessible to most of the world, because people have been so numbed by the mediocrity that is modern culture that they cannot value true art if it hit them in the face with a sledgehammer.

Let the records show that one day I will get "cause I'm doing just fine, hour to hour, note to note" tattooed on my body, probably somewhere near my heart. That, and the word "hedonist", but that has nothing to do with anything.

Anyhow, I know I've posted about Elliott a couple of times in the past, but please, please, please, do yourself a favour. Listen to XO. It's probably my favourite album after the first three Strokes records. Get a taste below, and head on over to your local library. I'm sure they have Elliott in stock, libraries tend to cater to (my) good taste.

Elliott Smith - Waltz #2 (XO) [mp3]

Elliott Smith - Between the Bars [mp3]


Elliott Smith - Miss Misery [mp3]


the day I come across an original copy of XO on vinyl is the day my heart will explode with joy. speaking of the ol' collection, guess who just a few days ago received a very happy package in the mail from a certain UK record store containing an ORIGINAL VINYL COPY OF THE UK VERSION OF IS THIS IT? yeah, that would be me. and if I weren't too lazy to charge my camera's battery, I'd upload a photo of it for you all to see. oh well, time will heal all.

4 comments:

_Jackie_ said...

It came?! That's fantastic =-D

Hanan said...

yeah, it's pretty freaking spectacular XD

definitely my most prized possession

thanks again for giving me good karma

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate what you wrote about Elliott. I feel the same way you do. I would reccomend checking out Kevin Devine, although He is nowhere near comparable to Elliott.

Hanan said...

he kind of sounds like Jack's Mannequin. I like him. thanks for the rec =)