Friday, June 19, 2009

Band of the Week: Black Lips


Most people I meet have never heard of this band, one of my absolute favourites. I tend to describe them to people as "highly catchy lo-fi garage punk with crazy stage antics and incredible presence"

their original guitarist Ben Eberbaugh was tragically killed by a motorist in 2002. may he RIP.

the current line up consists of:
Cole Alexander- vox, guitar
Jared Swilley - vox, bass
Ian Saint Pé-vox, guitar
Joe Bradley-vox, drums

you see, they all sing. it's incredible. does anyone know how to rip DVDs? because I have some really cool footage that came with a 7" I bought that has Black Lips playing a great set at a house party. it's called "Rob's House" and I'd love to post it on youtube to share with other Black Lips fans

Black Lips really love to play shows in other countries, particularly places that don't have a vibrant rock n roll scene. they got banned from India. yes, that's right, they were kicked out of a country. well, actually, they had to escape, fearing inevitable incarceration. you can read more HERE

their Israel performance is really funny, as the audience is dead. observe:



(that video also showcases their drummer on lead vocals. also, it's my favourite Black Lips song, and can be found on their 2007 release Good Bad Not Evil)

this band has released 5 fantastic albums, and their latest--200 Million Thousand-- is one of the year's best.

they love to release singles, I've lost count of how many 7" I have of theirs...

for new listeners, I'd recommend starting with their fourth album Good Bad Not Evil and then moving your way backward.

without further ado, you should give them a listen!

Black Lips - O Katrina! [mp3]
a song about Hurricane Katrina. "O, Katrina, why you gotta be mean?" the simplicity and repetitiveness of the lyrics is oh so Ramones. love it. oh, and the video emulates "Reptilia" by The Strokes:



visit them on MYSPACE

tour dates (if you want to have the time of your life, I'd highly recommend you check out their live shows):


19-06-09 Baltimore, MD, Sonar
26-06-09 Athens, GA, Athfest
27-06-09 Nashville, TN, Sonar
18-07-09 Chicago, IL, Pitchfork Music Festival
24-07-09 Seattle, WA, Capitol Hill Block Party

when I saw them, Cole drank his own piss. yeah.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Whoa, this is weird - I was gonna write about them today on account of having seen them a week ago at the Isle of Wight Festival. Seeing as you've pretty much covered what I was gonna write, I'm linking to this if that's alright?

They were SO GOOD live - got front row and it was amazing. They're just so much fun to watch. Plus I met Cole and Ian afterwards which was cool.

Well done on once again proving you have awesome music taste :)

Hanan said...

thanks =) and yeah link away.

I saw them back in...late April. it was amazing. just got around to posting about them now because I've been on a Black Lips binge lately.

I was front row too, I always go to shows early 'cause I love being up close. I gave Ian a kiss right before he left the stage but didn't bother meeting them after (I usually try to meet bands after concerts) because I had lost my wallet and was in a state.