Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Clash- Westway to the World


there's an employee at the Rasputin record store in Berkeley who loves The Clash. months ago, she recommended that I watch the documentary about the only band that matters called Westway to the World, and wrote down the name on a slip of paper for me. I recently found the paper, and last night I watched it.

the film is quite excellent, it starts at the very beginning, before Topper joined the band, and it even goes into why Mick and Topper were both kicked out. it has loads of ace live footage and is vital watching for any fan of the Clash, casual or obsessive. I consider myself in the latter category and I still learned loads

the entire thing can be viewed on YOUTUBE. check it out!

The Clash - Guns of Brixton [mp3]

this track off London Calling has always been one of my favourite Clash tracks. it was written and sung by bassist Paul Simonon (whom I still have a massive crush on), reflecting his ongoing fascination with reggae tunes.

5 comments:

hippiesaredead said...

This film is basically the best thing ever. It's so well done, and so authentic. Only downside is how depressing it is to have to watch the Joe interviews post-mortem. :(

Hanan said...

sadly, in the cases of both The Clash and Elliott Smith, I didn't start listening to their music until after Joe and Elliott passed away. I'm really glad they made this documentary though, it is so incredibly insightful.

nateraabe said...

Now they just need a good Elliott movie...

Hanan said...

hm, I wonder if there's enough footage of him doing interviews and stuff to pull that off...

Tim said...

I think Westway might be the best documentary of it's type to be released. Of course it could be that I'm a huge advocate for The Clash...but in theory that should make me harder to satisfy.

Check out http://www.theclashblog.com/

Thanks!