Monday, April 19, 2010

COACHELLA.

best weekend ever. seriously, how could I not enjoy a super orgy of all of my favourite things: live music, drugs, supergroups, dancing and drunken, drunken ruckus?

here are the artists I saw, in order of how much I enjoyed their set:
Julian Casablancas (HARD TO EXPLAIN AI AI AI AI)
Pavement (closed with "Cut Your Hair" and I nearly cried)
Girls (this was so freaking psychedelic. beyond the drugs, man.)
Phoenix (um, yeah)
King Khan and the Shrines (crazy ass mofo)
Thom Yorke (what a legend)
Beach House (sparkly.)
The Soft Pack (so tight!)
Them Crooked Vultures (holy shit this blew my mind. wish I were closer)
Spoon (had to leave for Phoenix but what I saw was great, as per usual)
The Dead Weather (JACK WHITE IS INSANE INSANE INSANE. new songs sound great!)
Muse (holy smokes this was beyond words)
Vampire Weekend (ended with Walcott, played a lot from the debut!)
Hot Chip (most fun I've had dancing in AGES)
LCD Soundsystem (I love James Murphey. that is all.)
Jay Z (I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Jay Z's set. Beyonce came out and they sang "Forever Young" together, it was super cute)
MGMT
(their set was fun 'cause I kept insisting on getting up to dance and then falling back down and resuming my post-drunken nap)
Gil Scott Heron (gotta find this guy the next time I go record hunting. great voice.)
Matt & Kim (thought I'd hate it but they were fun)
Portugal. the Man (did a cool couple of covers)
Kevin Devine (erm I was in the wrong tent)
Deerhunter (my hatred for Deerhunter remains unchanged.)

photos:

pavement




phoenix


king khan

jay z


girls


gil scott heron


the soft pack




spoon


them crooked vultures





sad that I missed The Almighty Defenders + this little gem (I did see him do two Radiohead songs, though):







I would have taken more photos/video but my camera battery failed all of Saturday and half of Sunday.

4 comments:

Murphey said...

Color me jealous, I wanted to see every single one of those bands

Murphey said...

also, regarding Gil Scott, he's a legend and his new album is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3QOtbW4m0

Unknown said...

holy refresh button batman! great stuff, so envious.

Double Hawk said...

Wish I lived in the west so I could go to Coachella! That's amazing! Muse must've been beyond words!(When I saw them, they were!)