Friday, November 14, 2008

Band of the Week: Modest Mouse


these guys have been off the radar for a while, since their latest record, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, which dropped in 2007

nevertheless, they remain one of my favourite bands. the Washington based boys have been around since 1993 (although they have had a handful of band member trade offs, all in good humour of course), and they are as awesome as bands come these days. they haven't burnt out, and are taking a well deserved break right now, but this doesn't mean that we should take a break from listening to their magnificent melodic musings

what is that you say? you aren't familiar with this band? what, have you been living under a rock with no access to indie culture for the last decade and a half? before the Kings of Leon even picked up instruments, these guys had perfected the art of combining critical acclaim and indie audience approval

Modest Mouse - Float On [mp3]

Modest Mouse- Breakthrough [mp3]

visit them on their OFFICIAL WEBSITE

5 comments:

Murphey said...

MM FTW
Lonesome Crowded West FTW
Interestingly, here's something I whipped up for a 'Favorite musicians doing something completely different' thread, and is in no way a dig on Brock, but it is funny to me.

mc chris should be a concert cellist and form an Americana combo with Trent Reznor on drums, John Mayer on mandolin, Pharrell Williams on fiddle, rounded out by Kyle Gass on double bass and Jack Black on jug. They tour the world as The Amazingly Brilliant Colorful Cracker Combo featuring Master Cellist Christobel, selling out stadiums and amphitheaters across North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Hailed as the herald of a changing current in popular music they sell 50 million records and reinvigorate the failing record industry.
Upon seeing a show in Sacramento, Isaak Brock says 'fuck it', leaving Modest Mouse to form his own Americana touring group. Modest Mouse recruits a recently cloned Woody Guthrie to fill in for vocals and goes on to make a classic series of 4 wildly successful and critically acclaimed albums known as "The '14 Four".
In 2016, after his bluegrass combo failed and broke up during their second show, Isaak Brock kills himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 Special.

Hanan said...

Isaac would never kill himself, and if he did, I would be very, very sad.

but that's a funny picture nevertheless. Trent on drums haha I don't think he'd be able to pull it off, because drummers are always kind of in the background and Trent is such an attention whore

do you have a blog? because when I click your name it says your profile isn't public.

Murphey said...

Yeah, nothing against Brock, I was just going where the fantasy took me, making sure it was dramatic and shocking.
I have a xanga, but I really don't update it, I use the account more for commenting on blogs and people I subscribe to. But nonetheless:
www.xanga.com/minnaow
Enjoy reading nothing new!

Hanan said...

hey, we're the same age

and I see you've updated. thanks for the shoutout btw haha =)

Murphey said...

Yeah, I figured if I were to link you to my blog, I could at least update and give you a shoutout. So there ya go! : }