Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saturday Music Definitions: The Pianist


I am a sucker for soundtracks, I really am.

I watched the Pianist a couple of nights ago and I've been listening to the soundtrack pretty obsessively since. therefore, I'm dedicating today's SMD to the two ballades on the album:

Ballade No. 2 In F Major, Op. 38 [mp3]

Ballade No. 1 In G Minor, Op. 23 [mp3]

both songs are incredibly beautiful and moving. I don't understand how some people think that classical music is boring. it can be so expressive, so powerful.

buy the entire soundtrack HERE

5 comments:

Murphey said...

I think the majority of people view classical and jazz the same way because they have heard little bits of famous compositions here and there, but have never listened to a record or seen it live.
For instance, I went on a band trip to see a few classical pieces at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth, and they have an orchestra and two altos and a tenor performing Ode to Joy, and I was so moved that I cried through most of the piece. I've never been that moved by any music, much less popular music.

Hanan said...

alas, you're right. man, I love jazz concerts. sadly, I've never seen classical music live.

what do you play?

Murphey said...

I played Saxophone and tried to learn Trumpet in HS band (didn't have time and couldn't find any instruction for trumpet). I play guitars and bass, and can functionally play piano, better if I were to practice technique and pieces. I can sing pretty well, but I let Patrick handle it for most of our stuff, with me doing backup vocals at the most. Not to brag or anything, but that's my musical repertoire.

Hanan said...

ah, I love sax. alto or tenor?
and bass guitar is my very favourite instrument.
well, with a list like that, I believe you have every right to brag haha

Murphey said...

I own an alto sax, but I've played tenor and bari. All saxophones are similar, with slight tweaks needed to technique.
I love playing bass, sometimes more than guitar; people take the bass for granted sometimes and don't know what it can be or how important it is, musicians and listeners alike. Guitar may stroke the performer's ego, but bass strokes the musician's ego.