Friday, July 10, 2009

Band of the Week: The Dodos


The Dodos make great music because their music isn't complicated. It doesn't try to achieve some higher purpose, or be obscure for the sake of remaining esoteric. It sounds good. The proof of this is that I've exposed loads of different people to this band, and they've all enjoyed the band's solid sophomore album,Visiter (I have their debut in vinyl format, which is more difficult to share than a cd).

They layer jingly instruments and reverberating harmonies to create a sound that is not quite psychedelic, and not quite folksy, but a fantastic thing in between.

Recently, I was pleasantly surprised to hear their song "Fools" on a beer commercial. A few more pleasant surprises like that and I might become an alcoholic...

Originally a duo of Meric Long and Logan Kroeber, the SF band has evolved to include Joe Haener on extra percussion. Their latest effort, Time To Die, is set for a September release, but it just leaked yesterday and I have been listening to it endlessly. More boldly inclusive of pop-hooks, the album reflects a kind of maturity that only can be achieved through trial and error, and experimentation with many different kinds of instruments.

Here's a taste:

The Dodos- Fables [mp3]

from Time To Die

I really love the this song, so give it a listen and meander into musical territory that indubitably derives from people well acquainted with the strange and fabulous things which the city of San Francisco offers.

this is simply gorgeous:



When it comes down to it, I love The Dodos because I don't have to THINK about liking them. Meric has a beautiful voice, and their albums are both enjoyable as background music or closely scrutinized through extra big headphones.



visit the band on MYSPACE and get listening [I remember when their site used to be myspace.com/mericlong....]

2 comments:

The R.O.B. said...

I'm surprised at how good they sounded live, and how complex their music sounds for a band w/ one guitar and two dudes on percussion...

Hanan said...

having seen the band a couple of times, when they only were a duo, I would have to concur. it's mindboggling, but I'm not complaining.