Friday, November 20, 2009

Band of the Week: The Vines


today, as I was removing my headphones from my ears, one of my pupils asked me (in earnest) if I liked High School Musical. as I suppressed a gag, I calmly told her "no". she was clearly disappointed; it seemed as though she wanted to impress me or something.
I was listening to Wolfmother as she asked this, and, on the subject of solid Australian bands, here are The Vines

if you listen to The Strokes, you're probably at least somewhat familiar with Craig Nicholls' band. while the frontman has battled with many mental health issues (yeah! long live rock n roll insanity), the band continues to put out album after album of extremely consistent music, a lovely hybrid of the psychedelic and grunge genres. Craig is an incredibly fascinating frontman. I dunno whether or not it's unethical to enjoy his erratic behaviour if he has serious issues, but it's all in the punk spirit so I'm sure he doesn't mind.

The Vines - Get Free [mp3]
from Highly Evolved (2002)
"I'm gonna get free, ride into the sun" has got to be one of the greatest lyrics ever.

The Vines - She's Got Something to Say to Me [mp3]
from Winning Days (2004)

this is so badass:



hahaha oh my goodness, just stumbled on this:

their fifth studio album is in the works, stay tuned for more info.

8 comments:

Errol said...

One of my Aussie bands. Clearly the last record was a production nightmare. They performed recently..Craig is supposed to be doing pretty good & sounded good as well.
I just want the 5th record to be as gooooood as Highly Evolved from start to finish

Jim said...

yeah they did a secret gig with you am I as 'the crimes' in sydney last week.

Shelby said...

That Letterman performance is so badass.

Allie said...

supposedly craig has asperger's syndrome.

Jim said...

I doubt he has strong aspergers that was basically just a get out of jail free card for when he assaulted a photographer.

Allie said...

I dont know, I have alot of experiance with the autism spectrum and it makes sense. of course the descriptions of his symptoms could be fake i guess, like if you were faking the flu and u said you had a fever. who knows? high functioning autism is harder to diagnos with certainty

Hanan said...

Allie is a scientist she knows what she's talking about.

in any case, Craig is insanely awesome.

Allie said...

haha aww thank you! actually my brother has low functioning autism and alot of my volunteer work in high school was with autistic children. and yes in my research into insane awesomeness, i have concluded that craig fits into this catagory.