Sunday, January 17, 2010

record review: The Dudes - Blood Guts Bruises Cuts


It’s a dangerous thing, as a music blogger, to list your email out in the open. I get massive amounts of garbage masquerading as music daily, but, being the fair-minded person that I am, give everything a little listen. Most of the time, I close the window straight away. Other times, I deliberate a bit, listen to a couple more songs, then decide what to do. But rarely, ever so rarely, I get something that my soul instantly recognizes as right.


The Dudes are not cool. The kind of music that they are making is far from the fashionable lo-fi shoe-gaze indie blog norm right now. But that doesn’t matter, because their music is right. It pulls all the right heartstrings, pushes all the right buttons. It’s soulful and raw: the contrast created by the lead singer’s expressive voice and the unabashed 90’s guitars has the ability to instantly envelop your entire being and sink you into rock n roll bliss. It cuts like a knife through all of the jaded crap, leaving ominous scars for figurative broken hearts.

The Dudes - Pretty Lies [mp3]
Can you believe that these guys are Canadian?

buy the album on AMAZON

visit them on MYSPACE

2 comments:

Rol said...

I can't believe nobody's ever called themselves The Dudes before. And they say all the great band names have already been taken!

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog. Thank you.