Wednesday, June 9, 2010

record review: Delta Spirit - History from Below


I am a music snob. Yes I am. When people tell me that albums like Congratulations are “growers”, I want to spit in their faces. Why? Because I believe that your soul should be able to recognize something it loves immediately, even if it may take your brain a while to deconstruct it.

I think back to the first time I heard History from Below, Delta Spirit’s spirited second album. I was driving to work in my car about a month ago and it was damn lucky that I had to stop at a red light because my eyes were flowing with uncontrollable tears. My body could not contain the emotion extracted from this tortuously perfect album.

Well before I heard the album in its entirety (I have been enjoying renditions of the new songs for the last couple of years at their shows), lead singer Matt Vasquez told me that History from Below was inspired by the writings of one of his heroes (and his guitar’s namesake)—Howard Zinn. On History from Below, not one element is spared in executing Delta Spirit’s revolutionary spark.

I first experienced Delta Spirit live, as openers at San Francisco’s very own Slim’s; they were feisty and unstoppable and I fell in love immediately. Until this very day, they remain to be my favourite live band. When I heard their debut record, Ode to Sunshine, something felt like it was missing. The intensity of their magnanimity as musicians was slightly blurred in the DIY production, although it was soon redeemed when I heard their foot stomping and hyperactive EP, I Think I’ve Found It. Don’t get me wrong, Ode to Sunshine remains to be one of my favourite records, but this sophomore effort, produced by Eli Thomson and Bo Koster (My Morning Jacket’s keyboardist) just blows it out of the fucking water.

“9/11” is by far the most striking opener I’ve heard all year. Matt’s signature thinking-man’s lyrics are displayed prominently, “all the old boys said they could make it last/like Vietnam without the draft”. Jesus. The music is equally raucous, as the tangy guitars are determined to keep up with Matt’s intense vocal delivery. History from Below continues, with a magnified, audibly rock’n’roll version of “Bushwick Blues”, a song that started out simpler, more folksy. Lest you fret, the band did not abandon their roots—they are still at the top of their game when delivering layered acoustic songs that effortlessly transport you to your most vulnerable emotional memories (“Salt in the Wound”; “Vivian”). The only difference is that the songs just sound a thousand times better. It’s not just the improved production quality either. Delta Spirit seems to have absorbed all of the positive energy that their crowds always deliver, and converted it to tighter songwriting and unparalleled musicianship.

Like a slinky, the songs are so emotionally gripping—haunting at times ("St. Francis")—by the sheer virtue of the band’s sincerity. You are swayed because the music relays stories and experiences with a numbing level of authenticity. Similarly, at their concerts, the entire audience cannot help but be completely absorbed in and enamoured by the music, because the band--unlike any other-- delivers as if every single cell in their bodies depended on it.

My favourite track of the bunch is “White Table”, mostly due to the fact that I feel like it is the best demonstration of the band’s explosive synchronicity. You can just hear those maddening multiple drum kits go go go. Did I mention the harmonies? History from Below has, without a doubt, perfected the oh-too-often half assed art of backup vocals.

I could write up a thousand words for each song on this album, but let it suffice to say that History from Below just strengthens my resolve in giving Delta Spirit the fortuitous yet highly coveted title of folk-kings. It's powerful and mesmerizing and filled to the brim with truth. It also makes me wish that bands like Mumford and Sons would go back to invisible busking. Bob Dylan believed that folk music was the music of the people, and I believe that people deserve unabashed passion, relief from their mundane and ruthless day lives. People deserve Delta Spirit. Anything less would be criminal.

4.9/5

the album is now available for purchase, I'd suggest you get your bottoms to a show and buy it directly from them. visit MYSPACE for dates


if you read this blog with any regularity and decide to overlook this album, you are effectively mocking me and depriving yourself of a glorious, obsession worthy album. and I will slap you for your double fault.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the band!! great tip

nateraabe said...

Love your review. Especially the last paragraph! Need to pick this up because of what you wrote. Also need to get the new Tokyo police club! Thanks for all your recommendations!

Anonymous said...

I dunno man, I HATED the Strokes at first. Well, I loved YOLO instantly, then bought & loved Heart in a Cage, Juicebox, & Reptilia instantly. But all of the albums were, collectively, "growers" for me. The first two albums were "growers" because I didn't like the transition from the songs listed above into the more lo-fi sound...it wasn't what I was expecting. And I think we all kind of know why First Impressions was a "grower," at least after the first three tracks.

Amanda said...

Sing it, sister. Many times I've teared up at their songs as well. I didn't listen to any of the samples or streams when this came out -- I just bought it, like that. I love these guys.

Hanan said...

thanks everyone.

and to MS, I advise you to reread the bit of the first paragraph that I hyperlinked.

Isha said...

To MS, how could you have hated the strokes at first? that's crazy. i loved since the first time i heard them.