Friday, April 10, 2009

concert review: The Airborne Toxic Event @ Slims 08 April 2009

I'll keep this short and simple:
I was not all too impressed Wednesday night by The Airborne Toxic Event. While I quite liked their record, they failed to deliver an impassioned performance, which I was expecting. The problem was, while I was at the concert, I couldn't decide whether they were good or bad, or neither, because I'd get bored, but then, randomly, there would be like 15 seconds of super awesome aural pleasure.

I don't want to write off their live set, but I kind of have to. Their songwriting is good, but they somehow manage to make the live set sound flatter than the record. They had a good attitude, though, and were engaging with each other (dancing, being playful) and with the audience (who weren't dancing or really showing any signs of enjoyment). The highlight of the set was "Something New", as well as seeing their bass player play with a bow. That was kind of rad.

The verdict? good, not great. definitely not a deal breaker but sure to please die-hard fans

2.95/5

I was, however, super blown away by the opener, a band from LA called The Henry Clay People. They had great energy, good punk sensibility and a rockin' drummer. I will post more about them soon, after I've had time to digest the two albums I bought from them.

photos:





set list:



The Henry Clay People:


No comments: