Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Magnet names the most over/under-rated Velvet Underground tracks


one of the greatest bands ever gets the treatment from Magnet. the verdict?

most overrated:
1. I'm Waiting for the Man
2. I'll Be Your Mirror
3. Sister Ray
4. Pale Blue Eyes
5. Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

most underrated:
1. The Black Angel's Death Song
2. Lady Godiva's Operation
3. The Murder Mystery
4. New Age
5. Hey Mr. Rain

read the entire article HERE. I love what they have to say about "Lady Godiva's Operation". and "The Black Angel's Death Song" is one of my favourite songs, ever.

The Velvet Underground - The Black Angel's Death Song [mp3]

7 comments:

Tara said...

Interesting article; definitely agree on the underrated, especially 'The Black Angel's Death Song'. I can remember the first time I heard it and being like "umm" and, admittedly, considering skipping it. Now it's one of my favourites on the album!

Disagree with the overrated, but this maybe because living in a place where no-one else really listens to this kind of music it feels like all the VU songs are kind of underrated really.

Hanan said...

I know exactly what you mean! I always say that the Velvets were just as good as the Beatles but way underrated.

I think they just chose the songs that people may have heard of ("I'm Waiting for the Man" courtesy of Bowie and "Oh! Sweet Nothin" because of High Fidelity) as overrated. they don't have much to work with seeing as how people are too busy listening to shit like the Jonas Brothers to pick up White Light/White Heat

Jim said...

most underrated needs to have 'im beginning to seethe light' and 'stephanie says'

Hanan said...

"Stephanie Says" is actually one of my least favourite VU tracks. I like their upbeat stuff a lot more than their super laid back "Sunday Morning" type songs, with the exception of "Sunday Morning"

Tara said...

What are you on about Hanan? Screw Lou Reed in Berlin it's all about the Jonas Brothers 3D concert experience ;)

Tara said...

(who even is Lou Reed? All I know is he's no Joe Jonas...)

Hanan said...

you know, I almost didn't laugh because I realized that there are people who would say that statement in earnest.