Monday, August 24, 2009

record review: Arctic Monkeys - Humbug


I always ponder American vs. British music, and try to come to a conclusion about which I prefer. If course, we have The Strokes, but the UK has The Beatles. I mean I could make a list that would go on forever but I’ll spare you. Personally, I prefer indie bands from here more than the ones in the UK; the Americana likes of Delta Spirit get me every time.

Humbug is great because it proves what I’ve believed all along: that American music is more complex and intricate, and therefore superior. Produced by Josh Homme and channeling The Doors like nobody’s business, the new album from Sheffield’s Arctic Monkeys shows that the logical conclusion of any evolving band is to draw from guitar heavy American music, and most importantly, revive grunge. Fuck keyboards. Everything is synthesized these days. Not that the album is keyboard-free, it just relies a lot more on Alex’s vocals and Nick’s bass.

In a nutshell, the album progresses with a meticulous perfection that is just hard to come by these days. It’s definitely the band’s most thought out album, which is both good and bad. The carefree attitude that defined Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not is simply irresistible, but Humbug is intriguing in its own way, relying more on wit than teenage restlessness. Sure, it’s got nothing on their first (especially in the lyrics and dance-ability departments), but when you have a debut that good, there’s nowhere to go but down.

The album is dark and sexy (like The Dead Weather), and they even have a couple of toned down numbers, like “Secret Door”. My favourite track is probably “Cornerstone”, which reminds me of really good r&b music from the 60’s. In my opinion, the urgent “Pretty Visitors” would have made an excellent closer, but the band chose to go with “The Jeweller’s Hands”, a creepy track that evokes the feeling of being lost in a room of mirrors in some sort of freaky circus.

The album is worth getting just to be able to hear Alex say “vitamins” in “Potion Approaching”. Oh how I love Queen’s English.

3.75/5

The album was released today in the UK, we Yanks can pick it up tomorrow.

6 comments:

2plus2isjoe said...

Believe me, Alex's voice is definitely not the Queen's English :P

I definitely disagree with you saying that American music is more complex and intricate and therefore superior (on both parts of the statement), but maybe that's just my geographical position...

klein said...

Cornerstone is definitely my favourite as well!

Hanan said...

vitAmins, instead of vayta-mins. I just meant I liked the accent.

Eric said...

I too was thinking about how fucked up American pronunciation is while I was listening to the Monkeys last week.

Take "NYC Cops". Julian pronounces it cawps, but Alex Turner pronounces it cops. It's fun to think about how badly Americans f- up different words, but manage to sound a lot better while doing it.

Anonymous said...

hahah youre an arrogant american prick. keep thinking you have the best of everything

Hanan said...

haha guilty. I love how everyone is focusing on that one part of the review. what I meant by it was that it's interesting that the most evolved Monkey's record sounds distinctly American. I do prefer American music most of the time, and my favourite band is The Strokes. but you already knew that.